Pages

Tuesday 20 September 2011

A Review for Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Posted by Donna
Published Date: August 9th, 2011
Finished Date: September 19th, 2011
Publishers: Delacorte Books for Younger Readers
Source: Bookaholic's Book Club Travelling Book
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 304
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: The most tragic love story in history . . .Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.
<
The Review: 
<
“Love doesn’t want people to stay ignorant and frightened. Love doesn’t value obedience over all else. Love doesn’t judge and find some lives-or loves-more valuable than others. Love doesn’t use people and throw them away. Love stays, and makes you stronger, even when the person you love is gone.” – Juliet.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what to expect before reading this book. I was definitely intrigued to the story especially with it being based around Romeo and Juliet but at the same time, I was also a bit worried because it was based around the tragic couple, it wouldn’t be any good. Well, let me tell you that Stacey Jay has done a fantastic job portraying the couple in this magical and compelling novel.

As I’m sure you all know the tale of Romeo and Juliet, this story tells a different version. What would have happened if Romeo had killed Juliet, so he could become an agent to the Mercenaries and work for the powers of dark helping drive apart soul mates? What would have happened if Juliet, after her death, was an agent working for the Ambassadors of light and hated Romeo for ending her life? And mainly, what would have happened if Juliet had fell in love with someone completely forbidden? Well….this story will tell you everything. Juliet Immortal is a story about love and loss in a completely beautiful and horrifying way that you can’t help fall in love with this book. I was captivated from start to end and truly enjoyed this story.

I instantly felt a connection to the main characters and felt like I’d known them for years. Juliet has always been a strong character but in this story, she is even stronger. Her hate for Romeo keeps her going, keeps her trying to help people find their soul mates. Even throughout her struggles, she always tries to do the right thing even without guidance from the Ambassadors, she still tries. I loved this version of Juliet and I feel like I know her so much more now. Romeo, I love Romeo but in this book is hard not to like him. He’s portrayed as the bad guy, he’s evil, and he kills people and steals their bodies. It was easy to hate him as much as Juliet but deep down, he has some hidden secrets. Secrets….that you can’t help but feel for him by the end of this book and really makes you question if he really was the bad guy. And then of course there’s Ben....Ben who I loved. He was a fantastic addition to this story and the twists and turns that involve his character are truly shocking. He’s a character that I keep thinking about nearly 12 hours later after finishing the book.

The story itself was very unpredictable. It’s fast paced, exciting, dangerous and of course, full of romance. The love in this story slowly builds up and touches your heart especially with all the emotions flying about. But there are also some really dark scenes too, ones that leave you utterly shocked but nonetheless still very enjoyable.

Overall, Juliet Immortal was a great stand-alone novel. I have to say though, I’d be interested to see something from Romeo’s point of view especially from that ending but even without it, I’m still happy. I think Stacey Jay deserves a round of applauses for creating a fresh and exciting story but still staying true to our famous couple. 

<
A huge thank you to Bookaholic's Book Club for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

10 comments:

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

I am so excited to read this now!!!! I love your review, soo excited to read it!!! (: ~Haley

Kayleigh @ K-Books said...

Great review, I loved it, can't wait for the sequel.

Melliane said...

I've read not long ago, dead on the delta by the same author, if this one is great too I think I will add it to my wishlist. Thanks for the review

Book Passion for Life said...

I really want to read this now!! Romeo and Juliet is one of my fave stories, and I'd love to read a twist on it. *sigh*. Must purchase this book too. List is ever growing!
-Jess

Book Passion for Life said...

Jess, it's really good but its like £15 to buy in the UK right now. I just found out there's a book two as well - Romeo's story.

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I agree, the author did a really great job with this book! I really loved Juliet's character, and even cared for Romeo, despite him being so evil. :) Glad you enjoyed this as well!

Shilpa Mudiganti said...

Great review. I am very intrigued by the story. It is unique and is a relief that it is so well written!

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

I haven't read this book yet. It kind of makes me sad already, knowing that the Romeo in this book is just so evil.

But I'm glad I read this review. I didn't think there would be a romance, and I love unexpected plot twists. And I still think the cover is gorgeous!

Aravis said...

I have the book but haven't read it yet. You'll be happy to know that a sequel is planned called "Romeo Redeemed," I think.

Evie said...

Hey dharling! :)
What a wonderful review! You totally made me want to read this book. I really love Romeo and Juliette story and would really like to read this retelling, especially since you said it was well done!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! Your review was very detailed and thorough - as always! Great job, hun! <3

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis