Pages

Thursday 22 September 2011

A Review for After Obsession by Carrie Jones & S.E Wedel

Posted by Donna
Expected Published Date: October 5th, 2011
Finished Date: September 11th, 2011
Publishers: Bloomsbury 
Source: ARC, For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 305
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Aimee and Alan have unusual pasts and secrets they prefer to keep hidden. Aimee's deceased mother struggled with mental illness and hallucinations, and Aimee thinks it could be hereditary. After all, she sees a shadowy river man where there isn't one. And then there was that time she and her best friend Courtney tried to conjure a spirit with a Ouija board ...Alan is Courtney's cousin. His family moved to Maine when Courtney's father went missing. It's not just Alan's dark good looks that make him attractive. He is also totally in touch with a kind of spiritual mysticism from his Native American heritage. And it's not long before Aimee has broken up with her boyfriend ...But it's not Aimee or Alan who is truly haunted - it's Courtney. In a desperate plea to find her father, Courtney invites a demonic presence into her life. Together, Aimee and Alan must exorcise the ghost, before it devours Courtney - and everything around her.
<
The Review: I’ll admit, I hadn’t heard much about this book until it arrived from Bloomsbury to review. Firstly, I was drawn to the cover of the book, its beautiful right? Then secondly, the blurb sounded interesting enough and thirdly, I heard there was an awesome romance story involved too. So what’s not to like? 

After Obsession is told from Aimee and Alan’s point of view, alternating between the two characters. The story centres on Alan’s cousin being possessed by an evil spirit known as The River Man. The River Man is responsible for many deaths over the years including Aimee’s own mother. Alan & Aimee have no other choice but to try and stop The River Man before he hurts anyone else in there town.

I have to say, this was a freshing read because it’s not your typical ghost story. With it being about Possession there isn’t really many avenue’s to take but Carrie Jones & S.E Wedel put their own twists on the story. Both Alan and Aimee have something to offer that could help them defeat The River Man. Aimee has inherited her mother’s psychic ability and Alan being part Navajo, has his own spiritual ritual’s that can help. I have to say, I was more interested in Alan, mainly because I haven’t read that many books that deal with Navajo customs and traditions. I was intrigued to read more and I think the author’s did a fantastic job showing us another culture. I really enjoyed both of our main characters, who I think made a great couple.

The story was easy to follow and kept me interested throughout. I did rate the story three out of five and even though I did enjoy the story, I just felt there was something missing but I just can’t put my finger on it. The last 10 chapters or so was where the real action started and the story comes together very nicely. The ending of the book left me satisfied and overall, I was generally happy with everything.

I definitely think this is a book to be tried in 2011, I think it will be a massive hit in the paranormal romance genre and I think Aimee and S.E did a good job.

Thank you to Bloomsbury UK for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

6 comments:

Giselle said...

Great review! I love ghost stories I think I would enjoy this one. It hasn't been getting great reviews though but should still be a good read it seems.

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Sierra said...

Can't wait to get this one.
Great review! :D

Denise Z said...

I have been haunting this book for a while now and would love to read it. Thank you for sharing today:)

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

Our library just got this book in, and I'm really curious about reading it. I've read Carrie Jones' Need series, which I enjoyed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I'm glad you liked this one. I have been curious. I think I need to wishlist it!

Aleksandra said...

Glad you liked it :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis