Pages

Wednesday 28 September 2011

A Review for Elemental: The First by Alexandra May

Posted by Donna
Published Date: July 9th, 2011
Finished Date: September 25th, 2011
Source: For Review
Format: Kindle
Pages: 270
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: ROSE Frost receives a bracelet on her sixteenth birthday, a parting gift from her mother who claims it is a family heirloom. From that night Rose starts having vivid dreams and strange visions. DAYS after, her family separate and Rose moves into her grandmother's house. Her dreams start to involve a woman called Halíka Dacomé. Is she a legend or a figment of her imagination? 
<
The Review: Before I start the review, I just want to take time to say….WOW, look at that cover. The cover is probably one of the best Indie book covers I’ve seen. I love the colours and I think it’s beautifully simple but it’s also very intriguing too. I’d love to see this book sitting on my bookshelf. Yeah so as you can tell, I love it.

Now for the review. Elemental: The First is book that surprised me. It surprised by how much I enjoyed it and now I’m more than eager to get my hands on the next book.

The book follows Rose-Marie, a young girl who is moving to her grandmother’s house so she can study for her final year in school. On her sixteenth birthday, Rose’s mother gives her a bracelet that has been in her family for generations. After receiving the bracelet, Rose starts getting weird dreams that she can’t explain. What she doesn’t realise is that she is tied to a young women called Halíka Dacomé. But how can she be tied to this women when surely, she is just a legend?

From page one your sucked straight into the world that Alexandra has created and you’re captivated from the start. There a good mix of mystery, romance and suspense to the story but it also had great characters too, so all of them things made this book really enjoyable. The mystery that surrounds the book is one I really enjoyed too; I found that I was trying to predict everything that happened in the book, only to find out that I couldn’t predict anything. Alexandra definitely keeps you on your toes and it was definitely one that will keep you excited.

The romance in the book for me was huge factor. I love romance and I really enjoyed it. Although you don’t see much in that department until you’re about half way through, the relationship Rose has with both Morgan & Aiden were completely different. She feels a deep connection with both boys but as I said, both are very different. With Morgan, it was instant. Rose felt like she had a friend in him as a well as very developed feelings but I found myself getting quite frustrated with them two as a couple. I’ll be honest; I didn’t like it because I’m totally TEAM AIDEN!!! With Aiden, Rose felt like that was where she belonged. That Aiden was her long lost love and although Rose and Aiden’s relationship doesn’t develop as much as I would have liked in this story, it does give me hope to the next book. So yeah Team Aiden all the way.

The story had a good flow to it, easy to follow and not to confusing. The story surrounding Rose and Halíka Dacomé was very intriguing but I have to say, I really wish Rose had found out more information than she did in this book. I know Alexandra has set the book up nicely for book two and even with that huge cliff-hanger, I just wish Rose had known more so we could see how she feels about everything and it wasn’t left so late. But hey, I guess that’s why there’s book two.

Overall, Elemental: The First is not one to be missed out on. Awesome characters, thrilling plot and very intense relationships….what’s not to like? Buy it guys!

Thank you to Alexandra May for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

1 comment:

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

Awesome review Donna, looking forward to getting into this more (:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis