Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

A Review for Fateful by Claudia Gray

Posted by Donna
Published Date: September 13th, 2011
Finished Date: September 16th, 2011
Publishers: HarperTeen
Source: UK Swap Travelling Book
Format: Hardback
Pages: 336
>
The Blurb from Goodreads: In Fateful, eighteen-year-old maid Tess Davies is determined to escape the wealthy, overbearing family she works for. Once the ship they’re sailing on reaches the United States, she’ll strike out on her own. Then she meets Alec, a handsome first-class passenger who captivates her instantly. But Alec has secrets.... Soon Tess will learn just how dark Alec’s past truly is. The danger they face is no ordinary enemy: werewolves are real and they’re stalking him—and now Tess, too. Her growing love for Alec will put Tess in mortal peril, and fate will do the same before their journey on the Titanic is over. 
<
The Review: “Tess. Only you could be brave enough to die with me. But I want you to live for me.” We kiss, as desperate as though we were drowning. When our lips part Alec says, “Forgive me.” Then he picks me up - inhuman strength lifting me from the deck as if I were half flying – and flings me over the railing of the ship, toward water, toward darkness, away from him forever.

Wow! I haven’t felt this way about a book in a good few weeks, so this is definitely what I needed to get me out of my reading rut. I bet you’re wondering if Titanic plus Werewolves was a success? Well, I can tell you….IT WAS! An absolutely amazing success.

Fateful is a story that really captures your heart and makes you fall in love with it instantly. We all know how the story went for Titanic but what Claudia Gray manages to do, is take that unfortunate day and create something completely her own. Titanic has always been one of my favourite films so for Claudia to add werewolves and exciting new twists and turns, it’s enough to leave you breathless.

From page one you’re sucked into the world of 1912 that makes you imagine that you’re really there. The story was well written, believable and had excellent mix of romance and action. Even when you read the story, you get so lost in the world that has been created you almost forget that you already know the outcome. Some might say the story would be predictable but I would disagree. Just because you know the ending of Titanic, doesn’t mean you’ll know how it ends for our characters. And I have to say, I was on the edge of my seat full of nerves…..because I honestly didn’t know what was going to happen and I was so hoping there was a happy ending for our characters.

Tess, is a very likable girl who you are rooting for from the start. Living as a ladies maid isn’t the easiest job but she does her job with commitment but while looking for a way out for a better life. She’s very determined and strong willed and you can’t help but love her. Alec is every girls dream, tall, dark, mysterious and very rich. He and Tess know they can’t be together, not because of their status, but because of the dangers that would be involved for Tess. I loved how these two characters were bought together in dangerous situations and it only made them stronger. They were definitely a couple I was cheering for and I was easily swept up into their romance.

Overall, Fateful is a one of a kind book that will linger in your mind for hours later. With excellent characters, a dangerous story line and a very satisfying ending….what’s not to love. Well done Ms Gray, Fateful was a hit for me and I honestly couldn’t fault it. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this or not because I just thought it was going to be another love story on the Titanic. After reading your review, I will be ordering this book in the next couple of days. It is now on my "must read" list. Thanks for the review.

Bleuette said...

Awesome! I'm so glad it's as good as it sounds, my copy that I ordered came in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to start it! It's good to hear it's not predictable, I'm wondering if there love will have a happy ending or end in tragedy.

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

I really want to read this one!
I think I have to wait until it's published in the UK next year.

Liz. R said...

Glad you liked this one! Good to hear Tess is likeable, and the romance sounds great! Fab review :).

Anonymous said...

Ace Review!

I didn't like this title =/

I am about to conduct a Aussie Giveaway for it though :) so hoping others who win will love it!

Mel said...

I'd not heard of this book before but I like the idea of a story set in 1912 - a little different from the modern YA books! :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis