Pages

Thursday 10 November 2011

A Review for Working Stiff (Revivalist #1) by Rachel Caine

Working Stiff (Revivalist #1)Posted by Donna
Published Date: October 15th, 2011
Finished Date: November 3rd, 2011
Publishers: Allison & Busby 
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 473
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Bryn Davis knows working at Fairview Mortuary isn't the most glamorous career choice, but at least it offers stable employment--until she discovers her bosses using a drug that resurrects the clientele as part of an extortion racket. Now, Bryn faces being terminated--literally, and with extreme prejudice. 

Wit the help of corporate double-agent Patrick McCallister, Bryn has a chance to take down the bigger problem--pharmaceutical company Pharmadene, which treats death as the ultimate corporate loyalty program. She'd better do it fast, before she becomes a zombie slave--a real working stiff. She'd be better off dead...


The Review: I have always been a fan of Rachel Caine’s work ever since I read her Morganville Vampire Series, so to hear she was writing a new book was great and I couldn’t wait to get started. But after reading it, I have to say….nothing beats her Morganville Series.

Working Stiff follows the life of a girl called Bryn who accidently gets mixed up with a company called Pharmadene and is being manipulated by them.  Luckily enough for Bryn, with the help of double agent Patrick, she ends up getting the chance to take down pharmaceutical company.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Working Stiff but not as much as I would of liked. I personally felt like it started off quite slowly and it wasn’t until the middle of the book, that things started to pick up.
When they did pick up I found myself enjoying the story line and looking forward to what would come next. I loved the action towards the end and of course, the twists and turn was a great addition.

I loved all the characters and I really enjoyed watching Bryn and Patrick’s relationship develop. Although I would have liked a little bit more of development between them rather than it being quiet slow, but I still really enjoyed it. I also loved how they were together and Patrick is a totally swoon worthy guy. Honestly, he is not one you want to miss out on.

Overall, Rachel Caine has done a good job with Working Stiff and yes, I do prefer her Morganville Series but it shows that Rachel has the talent to create other good series and I can’t wait to see what she does next.

Thank you to Allison & Busby for giving me a chance to review this book. 

4 comments:

Giselle said...

I haven't read anything by Rachel yet but I've heard how great she was. I think I'll start with her Mortganville series.

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Hanna @ Booking in Heels said...

Oh, I'm halfway through this at the minute! I'd never read any of Rachel Caine's books before, but I was sent this for review and I love it so far!

I'm not big on Patrick, I much prefer Joe.

Anonymous said...

But cellulite can also be a problem for some men, and with certain hormonal conditions it is actually quite
common. It contains natural ingredients like olive oil, jojoba oil,
and other essential oils. Finding a way to prevent it in the first place remains an impossibility until science can tell us where it comes from.



my blog Cellulitis treatment

Anonymous said...

The benefit of having beautifully manicured nails at all times is a helpful incentive to stop
the nail biting habit. So, if your nails are unusually short and messy, you
should locate the nearest hypnotherapist because you are probably biting your nails and you
don. Quite a few nail biters will also continue biting and chewing their
fingernails despite extreme damage and bleeding from the nail
bed.

My website; How to stop biting nails

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis