Pages

Saturday 26 November 2011

A Review for Return to Paradise (Leaving Paradise #2) by Simone Elkeles

Posted by Jess
Published Date: September 1st,  2010
Finished Date: November 25th, 2011
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 291
<
The blurb from Goodreads: Caleb Becker left Paradise eight months ago, taking with him the secret he promised to take to his grave. If the truth got out, it would ruin everything. 

Maggie Armstrong tried to be strong after Caleb broke her heart and disappeared. Somehow, she managed to move on. She's dermined to make a new life for herself. 

But then Caleb and Maggie are forced together on a summer trip. They try ignoring their passion for each other, but buried feelings resurface. Caleb must face the truth about the night of Maggie's accident, or the secret that destroyed their relationship will forever stand between them.


The Review: "We lie back on the pillows together, and he places small, slow kisses across my neck. "Trust me," he whispers against my lips. "Maggie, you're my paradise." 

Well what can I say. I didn't think I'd like this one as much as the first, but I did. I loved it. Possibly loved it more than Leaving Paradise. 

Return to Paradise starts 8 months after Leaving Paradise, and Caleb is in trouble...again. He manages to get bail and is optioned in to joining the Re-START program which gets kids who have been in jail or affected by drunk driving tell their stories to others around the country. Caleb reluctantly goes along because it's either that, or jail...again. And from there he meets Maggie again who's there to tell her story, and so this sets off a chain of emotions for them both. 

I loved it. It was great to be fall back in with Maggie and Caleb. I liked Maggie a lot more in this book, she's become a lot stronger and lot more kiss ass than previously. Caleb, well Caleb to begin with was a total jerk and I wanted to punch him in the face a few times, but then he got his act together and turned things around. But the Caleb thing worked well because it Simone Elkeles managed to do it in a way where we see exactly how strong Maggie is now, and that she doesn't fall for some of the crap he pulls in this book. I loved all the new characters that were introduced in this book, especially Matt and Lenny. 

I connected a lot more with Caleb and Maggie in book 2. The only frustrating thing with this book is the beginning interaction with Caleb and Maggie again. One minute they're arguing and shouting at each other, the next moment they're almost-kissing in a lake. A lot of this happens through out the first half of the book, and it just got a little frustrating, but it also made it really fun to read, especially reading about Maggie taking control of the Caleb situation, so I guess the bads balance out the good stuff. 

This book had me out right laughing (no thanks to Lenny), he has some amazing one liners that you just simply laugh your head off! 

The ending to this book was beautiful, I didn't feel dissatisfied with it at all. It pretty much had me on edge a little because I wasn't sure where it was going. But if this ending doesn't make you love Caleb more than there's no hope for you. I have one word for this ending: 'Castle'. I shall say no more. 

Anyway, I definitely recommend this book to all Perfect Chemistry lovers and that this book and Leaving Paradise has become another one of my favourites of 2011.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal review, Jess!
-★Wendy★
http://www.mochalattereads.blogspot.com
A Cupcake and a Latte: Young Adult Reviews!

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis