Pages

Saturday 26 November 2011

A Review for Crushed Sugar (Ophelia Dawson Chronicles Novella #1) by Kimber An

Posted by Donna
Published Date: March 25th,  2011
Finished Date: November 12th, 2011
Source: For Review from Author
Format: Kindle
Pages: 50 
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Be careful what you wish for. Ophelia’s had a wicked crush on Martin since they were kids, but she was always just his geeky little friend. Then, on the first day of her junior year, he’s suddenly and wildly attracted to her. She can’t imagine what’s changed, but shocking her small school’s social order fills her with vindication for insults suffered. Ophelia meets Adrian right after and true love extinguishes the wicked crush. In secret, he gives her courage against a specter threat. Tristan Li is pale and hungry, and draws Martin’s immediate ire. He knows things about Ophelia which she assumes are delusions brought on by an aggravated illness like her own, diabetes. When battle breaks out between his ancient race and new blood, even the courage of her secret love might be crushed.
<
The Review: After getting the Ophelia Dawson Chronicles for review I decided to start with the novella because it’s a prequel to Sugar Rush the first book in the series. Now personally, I’d rather read the prequel before the actual book. I like to know the back story before and not the other way around but I can’t help think maybe I made the wrong choice with this.

Although I thought this novella was okay, I have to admit I didn’t really enjoy it and considering that it’s only 50 pages I wouldn’t have expected that. I felt that the story started off quite confusing and I couldn’t really understand what the fuss over Martin was and while I was trying to get a feel for the characters I couldn’t really connect with any of them. Not only that but I also felt the story jumped around a bit and it left me with quite a few questions but I have to admit, I’m not really all that interested in finding out the answers.

What I did like what the ideas that the author had with the Owl and of course I really like Tristan and Adrian. However they didn’t really out weigh the way I felt about the rest of the novella. I don’t necessary think the author did a bad job, I actually know a few people who enjoyed this series but maybe it was my fault for reading the prequel before the actual book. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t connect with it but I’ll be honest when I say I’m not sure if this series is for me. Maybe I’ll give Sugar Rush a go in the near future…..but we’ll see.

Thank you to the author for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

1 comment:

Kimber Li said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and review CRUSHED SUGAR! It was written and released after Sugar Rush, so it is a bit confusing. I hope you find time for Sugar Rush, 'cause it did score my first publishing contract! Take Care. Regards, Kimberley

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis