Pages

Monday 28 November 2011

A Review for Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles) by Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie

Posted by Donna
Expected Published Date: December 1st, 2011
Finished Date: November 22nd, 2011
Publishers: Random House
Source: ARC, For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400
<

The Blurb from Goodreads: Katelyn McBride’s life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It’s a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.
< 
The Review: Unleashed was my first book by this author duo Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie, I know right? Can you believe it! And after reading it I can honestly say I didn’t love it but I did enjoy it.
< 
Katelyn McBride lost her dad at a young age so she doesn’t expect to lose her mother years later, leaving her with no choice but to move to the middle of nowhere to live with her grandfather. Katelyn hates having to leave her friends and school and she is definitely not looking forward to starting over in Wolf Springs, but when she’s there things starts to pick up….however it doesn’t last long when she finds out teenagers are being killed in the woods. Wolf Springs has secrets, secrets that have been hidden through out centuries and Katelyn finds herself at the centre of them.
> 
When I started Unleashed I have to admit, our main character Katelyn or Kat as she goes by in Wolf Springs really annoyed me. I understood her situation and my heart when out for her losing her mother and especially having to move to a new place but she really did annoy me. I found her whiney and I didn’t like the fact that she never really gives her grandfather the benefit of the doubt, but despite this as the story progress’s I actually started enjoying her as a character. She did a complete turn around. When she becomes friends with mysterious Trick, I really enjoyed the qualities they bought out in each other. Their time together was flirty and fun and it was just what I needed in the story. But when Katelyn is introduced to Cordelia’s cousin Justin, I was instantly taken by him…he had such a presences in the book and I was eager to find out more. But if you asked me if I’m Team Trick or Team Justin….I honestly couldn’t answer at this stage.
> 
The secrets that Wolf Springs hold gave the story a certain enjoyable twist to it and it was pretty easy to spot that the Fenners are at the centre of the problems. Cordelia’s father was a horrid man and I’ve never wanted to slap someone like him before. He’s mean…just plain mean and nasty! There were also a few shockers to the storyline especially involving Katelyn and I have to say…I didn’t expect it not so soon into the story. I didn’t but it was definitely a good twist.
< 
I have to warn you there is a cliff-hanger at the end. Was it good? It was okay…nothing really major in my opinion and I think it could be easily solved in the next book. I guess I’m kind of hoping the authors do something major to start off with for book two, just to keep it unpredictable but what I also didn’t like was the Twilight comparisons. Yes I do love Twilight….its one of my favourite but I don’t wish to read it done over by different authors. I want something original and I believe this series can be original.
< 
All in all, Unleashed was a good start to an exciting series, one I will look forward to continuing in the near future.
< 
Thank you to Random House for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

5 comments:

Alexa said...

I have not yet read anything by these authors either but I do own a the first book in two different series by them. I'm sorry you had some things about this book that you didn't like. I just recently got this one so I have hopes for it and can't wait to see what I personally think of it.
Thanks for the great review. :)

Giselle said...

Ooh I just got this one last week I'm looking forward to starting it soon. Good to know the whiny character grows on you though it'll motivate me to keep going - they tend to really annoy me! Awesome review Donna!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Rubita said...

I'm looking forward to trying this one because I'm a diehard werewolf fan. Wait--is it a werewolf story? I can't tell. I'm sorry to hear it's a love triangle story--I'm rather tired of them at the moment.
Ruby

Amanda Nicole said...

This sounds pretty good, I think I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the review. :)

Anonymous said...

If you want to earn more when you become a therapist or holistic practitioner, then it would
make sense to have an open mind and move away from the mindset
of treating your private practice as though it is a hobby, right.

X-rays and an MRI are recommended to be sure there's nothing more significant going on, like a herniated vertebral disc, or a fractured vertebra. However, with CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy one can see profound changes in the behavior of couples.
My weblog ; tukiceen.jimdo.com

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis