Pages

Tuesday 15 November 2011

A Review for My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent


Posted by Donna
Published Date: January 1st, 2011
Finished Date: November 12th, 2011
Publishers: Mira Ink
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 368
 <
The Blurb from Goodreads: She doesn't see dead people, but…she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

The Review: The Soul Screamers series is a series I’ve wanted to try for some time now mainly because I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Admittedly, I did try the prequel a few years ago and didn’t really give it much of a chance but now, after reading My Soul to Take I’m more than excited to continue this series.

This story follows the life of Kaylee Cavanaugh, a young girl who lives with her aunt and uncle after the death of her mother. Kaylee isn’t like normal girls though. Sometimes she knows when a person is going to die because she has the urge to scream. She doesn’t know why this happens until she meets Nash Hudson, one of the hottest guys at her High School. Kaylee soon finds out that Nash knows things that can help her finally figure out what she is. Soon though, several girls drop dead within a few days apart and Kaylee and Nash go on a dangerous journey to try and solve the murders.

My Soul to Take was a completely unique story, one that I’ve never read anything about before. Bean Sidhe aka Banshee’s are from Irish Legends and I really enjoyed getting to know about a different legend which I thought was a refreshing story line. It kept me gripped all the way through and had so many different avenue’s the story could take but what Rachel did with this storyline was awesome. It was exciting, dangerous and a great page turner.

Our characters are fantastic and I really enjoyed Kaylee as a character. She became very realistic to me and I connected with her quite well. Through-out her struggles to contain her wail, she was actually very strong and determined. I love qualities like that in our heroine. Then there’s Nash; who wouldn’t love him? I immediately fell for him and I can totally see why Kaylee loves him.  He was her rock through out this book and it even though Kaylee was strong enough on her own, it was nice that he could help her in ways you wouldn’t even expect. And also I can’t forget Tod. He was a bit of an odd one for me, I liked him and I didn’t like him…I’ve heard a few rumours about the next few books that involve Tod and that we get to see him in a different light, so I’ll look forward to that.

Overall, My Soul to Take was a great start to a refreshing series and I will look forward to seeing what will come next for our characters.

Thank you Mira for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

5 comments:

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I really liked this one too! You're right its very unique!!


Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Giselle said...

I still haven't read this one. I have it at home though and I've read amazing reviews on it. Everyone loves it. I really have to read it soon you're making me anxious to read it!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I really like this series too! I've read the first two books, but still need to read the last three. :) Glad to see you enjoyed it!

Aravis said...

This was the first time I read about bean sidhes as well, and I also found the originality refreshing.

I know what you mean about My Soul to Lose. Despite my love for this series, I didn't feel any real interest in it until after I read book 5, If I Die. There's a part of that book that refers back to that first novella. While you don't need to have read the novella to understand it, I found that going back to read it increased my understanding about some things. Had I read MSTL first, though, I'm not sure I would have been interested in continuing the series; it was kind of blah on its own.

Joss Alvarado said...

OMG!  I´m reading this awesome book right now!  I can´t stop read it!  
Great Review! ♥ Thanks a lot! 

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis