Pages

Tuesday 22 November 2011

A Review for Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand

Posted by Donna
Expected Published Date: 17th January, 2012
Finished Date: November 6th, 2011
Publishers: HarperCollins
Source: ARC For Review
Format: E-Galley
Pages: 416

The Blurb from Goodreads: For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
< 
The Review: 3.5 out of 5: When I found out Hallowed was available on NetGalley, I immediately went and snatched it up because I’ve been dying to find out what happens. After reading it, I’ll admit I’m not as excited to read the third book as I would have hoped and here’s why.

After failing at her purpose, Clara doesn’t know what’s next. All she knows is that it isn’t over especially with the recurring dreams she’s getting. She knows someone is going to die, someone close to her and she knows the Black Wing will be back for her. So she has to prepare herself. Now torn between her feelings for Christian and for Tucker, Clara struggles to come to terms with who she should be with along with what she really is and isn’t prepared for the secrets to infold.

Like I said I was really excited to start Hallowed but it just felt like a second book to me. When I say second book, I mean the one that kind of just plod along and not much happen book. I kept reading  hoping something was going to happen and all though Clara does lose someone close to her that’s pretty much about it. I was left with more answers than I would have liked and I guess the author has set it up that way for book three in the series but I just can’t honestly see how everything will be tied together in just one more book and I’m left wondering if I can be pulled off. I guess we will see.

Even though I had a few problems with the book I still enjoyed parts. Mostly I enjoyed the relationship between Christian and Clara develop. Even though I’m totally Team Tucker, it is easy to fall in love with Christian during this story. In Unearthly we never really got to find out who he was so I’m glad we seen more of him in Hallowed. I also felt the love triangle was done very well even though I’m not happy with how it effected Clara and Tucker’s relationship, I can’t wait to find out more and in the end I do believe it will all work out how I’d like, because I think it will come down to Clara’s choice and her free will. I believe she will choose the right person.

We also got to see a whole new set of emotions during this book too and there were some pretty emotional scenes. What I didn’t expect was for the story with Clara’s brother, it was a huge twist but I honestly can’t see why it was put there. I’m hoping that will get explained a little better soon.

Overall Hallowed wasn’t as good as I was hoping but it was still good and I’ll still read book three and hopefully everything will tie together nicely.

Thank you HarperCollins for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

4 comments:

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I've heard a LOT of people say it wasn't as good as Unearthly! But thanks to this book I now know that Unearthly is one book that I should read right now!!

Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Natalia Belikov said...

buuu... it looks that is not better than the first one. Yet, I still want to read it a get my own copy for my collections. As you said, is not uncommon that second books are not as good as the first one but that doesnt take my motivation of reading it away! Im just to into Angels XD LOL

thaks for the review!! =) muah! XOXO

Dazzling Reads

Anonymous said...

I've only read about 100 pages from Hallowed and set it aside because of my review schedule. It seems fine so far, though I agree that it's impact isn't as great as Unearthly. Wonderful review!!

-Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte: YA Reviews

Giselle said...

I agree it does feel like a middle book! I did enjoy it still, though. But I hope we get more answers in book 3 and I heard there was a planned book 4 now too. Not sure how I feel about that.

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis