Pages

Friday 11 November 2011

A Review for Double Clutch (A Brenna Blixen Novel #1) by Liz Reinhardt


Posted by Jess
Published Date: September 7th, 2011
Finished Date: November 11th, 2011
Publishers: Self-Published author
Source: For Review
Format: e-book
Pages: Unknown

The blurb from Goodreads: What happens when you fall in love with the perfect guy...twice...in one day?

Brenna Blixen spent her freshman year homeschooling in Denmark; now that she's back in the States, she's determined to make her sophomore year unforgettable. And by unforgettable, she imagined awesome classes, fun friendships, and maybe a little romance. 

What she got was a whole lot of romance, and all at once. 


The Review: "Can I...". He stopped and his jaw relaxed. "Can I kiss you?" I didn't answer, and he didn't wait for me to. His hands caught me gently behind the neck and he pressed his mouth to mine, softly but firmly. Then he moved one arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. As the space between us disappeared completely, he deepened the kiss, urging my mouth open and sliding his tongue in."
Aww...what a cute book. When Liz Reinhardt contacted Donna and I about reviewing her book Double Clutch, I accepted because I hadn't read anything with a love triangle in a long time. 
Everything about this book is adorable. The story, the characters. Double Clutch was such a fun and light read that pretty much had me from chapter 1. 
Brenna is a great protagonist, even though she is only 15 in the book; she does seem a lot older. She's pretty mature and she grows through out the book when trying to deal with her feelings for Saxon and her feelings for Jake. Saxon and Jake. Ahh well, let's start with Saxon. He pretty much makes a big impression from the start. He gives off this bad boy vibe immediately and you instantly fall for his charm and quick wit. I didn't think Liz could make me want another boy. Then she introduces us to the sweet Jake Kelly. Ahhhhh Jake! He's a good boy with a baaaaad past and he regrets his past. But he's incredibly gorgeous and he treats Brenna the way every girl should be treated. As always in a love triangle, you pretty much have to settle on one team if you can. And at first I wasn't sure, but I leant towards Saxon because he was bad, but eventually I went with Jake. Its a done deal...right now. That could all change when we see more (hopefully) of Saxon in the sequel. We'll see.
I loved that this story was nothing paranormal. Its just about a small town girl dealing with every day issues, juggling school, homework, parents, and 2 boys vying for her attention. It was refreshing to read, and I'm glad of who Brenna chose, because it was the right one. I wouldn't have it any other way. I especially loved Brenna's relationship with her parents. Her mother, although over protective is a great woman who loves her daughter no matter what, and supports her in everything. But I have to say that her step-dad Thorsten really stood out for me. He's taken on the role of a Dad and his relationship with Brenna is one to be envied, I'm sure every girl would love to have that sort of relationship with their dad (step or not), I know I do.
There isn't a lot of action in this book. There are a few arguments but nothing blown up. And that's fine. If you want a light read this is a good one. This is written for Older YA, and I could see why! Brenna finds herself in some sexual situations which I found odd for a 15 year old, but it was handled beautifully. I will warn that Liz Reindhardt does NOT sugar coat the intimate scenes so I do urge that only readers of 17+ read this. 
Anyway, if you want a book about a normal girl with normal issues. Then read this. If you want a book without anything paranormal, then read this. If you want a book that's fun, light and easy then read this. Ohhh just read it anyway. Double Clutch has been added to my top 2011 reads for this year and I am now waiting to get my hands on the sequel Junk Miles.
Thank you to Liz for asking me to review this.

3 comments:

Liz Reinhardt said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Jessica! I'm so glad you enjoyed and look forward to your thoughts on 'Junk Miles' when it comes out! Thanks again!!

Alexa said...

Oh I'm reading this one right now and it is pretty good so far, it is nice to take a break from all things paranormal

Thanks for the great review.

Agrippina Legit said...

I was on team Saxon myself ;) But I absolutely agree with you about Brenna's parents. Thorsten rocked.

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis