Pages

Saturday 28 May 2011

A review for Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Posted by Donna 
Expected Published Date: June 28th, 2011
Finished Date: May 28th, 2011


The Blurb from Goodreads: What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death? 
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight. But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Street lamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.
>
The Review: I honestly don't know where to start with this review but here goes. I'd had this book for a while to review and honestly, I'd been putting it off. But as usual, when I finally do start it....I'm completely blown away by it. 
>
Spellbound follows the life of Emma Conner, a 16 year old girl whose life is hell. She loses her twin brother at the age of 14 and then loses her mother at the age of 15. Emma is left with her alcoholic and abusive step-father who nearly kills her by crashing his car while driving drunk. Thats the final straw for Emma who decides to move to New York to live with her Aunt. This leads to Emma starting a new school, falling for the hottest guy in school named Brendan and finally, finding out what the necklace her brother gave her really means. 
>
Yes! I'll say it again, this book blew me away. I loved it!  A long lost love, two soul mates and one very hot guy is right up my street. From chapter one I knew I was going to like this book but I can't believe how much. Emma was a fantastic character and although I did feel sorry for her at times and despite what she had been through, she was always loveable, upbeat and funny. I really enjoyed her character and also the relationships she had with other people. I especially liked Ashley, Cisco & of course, her Aunt Christine...what a cool aunt to have. 
>
Now lets move on to Brendan......Wow! Wow! Wow! This guy has everything and I mean everything. Good looks, money, he's romantic, funny, broody....everything! The connection that Emma had with him was just amazing. The author managed to tie this incredible story into the necklace that bounds both Emma & Brendan together which was completely unique. I mean come on, we have all read stories about soul mates right? but this was something completely new for me...almost like a fairy tale come true. But, what I loved most about this book was, as far as I'm aware its a stand alone novel from Emma's point of view and I really wish it stays that way. Its been so long that I've read a book that hasn't been apart of series that I've actually been longing for one. The fact that Emma's romance with Brendan is completely tied up in this story made me enjoy it that much more and the ending for them was perfect. Don't get me wrong though, I'm more than happy to read a story from another character's point of view but I want it focus on their lives and not Emma's. 
>
Overall, Cara Lynn Shultz has created an amazing story, one that keep me captivated me all the way through. This is definitely a must read for 2011 and  I will look forward to reading more of her work.
>
Thank you NetGalley & Harlequin Teen for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing book.

9 comments:

Elodie said...

Thanks for the awesome review ! I look forward toread this one now ;)

Bookish Brunette said...

I've been wanting to read this one too!!!!

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

This sounds great- it's on my wishlist!

ArtemisG said...

Great review! Book sounds amazing. The romance between Emma and Brendan seems unique.

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

I really liked this book too. I only finished it yesterday so I knew it wasn't stand alone but I was wondering where book 2 would go as I thought Spellbound just finished off perfectly. I'm not enjoying Spellcaster quite as much so far.

Congrats on getting your review quoted :)

Book Passion for Life said...

Hey Suzanne....thanks for stopping by. I haven't read book two yet but I'm hoping to soon .

Oh, what quote are you talking about?

Donna xox

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

I have Spellcaster for review from Netgalley and your quoted "I'll say it again, this book blew me away. I loved it! A long lost love, two soul mates and one very hot guy is right up my street." on the first page under Praise for Spellbound, along with a few other blogs. I often stop by your blog so I recognised it when I was reading through them :)

Book Passion for Life said...

Suzanne, you're a GEM! I didn't even know I was quoted but I do now. Thank you so much!!! And thank you for stopping by. I'll be sure to take a peak at you're when I'm at work =)

Donna xoxo

Dani (Pen to Paper) said...

I need to get around to this one soon - it sounds so good, and you make it sound even better! Great review hun :) x

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis