Pages

Friday 6 May 2011

US vs UK (#4)



Welcome to Book Passion for Life's fourth US vs UK book cover battle. We've seen this posted on a few other blogs, and thought we'd jump on the band wagon!

The idea of this battle is once a week we'll post 2 sets of books of our choice, one US cover and one UK cover, and we'll just give our opinion on which one we love the most. Which cover captures the story, which one would catch our eye if we saw it on the shelf in a shop. The US cover will be on the left, and the UK cover will be on the right.


US vs UK Round 4

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

 vs

Jess says: Okay, so this book is currently on my shelf at home. I bought it a while ago and haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Anyway thats not the point, the point is, I like the UK cover for this. Reason? Well quite frankly the US cover creeps me out lol. It doesn't give of a Fey vibe to me, it tells me more of a "Run for your life, he's gonna GET YOU!" sort of vibe. Or some sort of baby eating monster thing *shudder*. The UK cover, seems more mystical, and Fey like. I love the blue and I prefer the font on this one. And you know what, yes the guy is hot, and we all know how I'm partial to a hot fictional man! So the UK takes this one for me.
Donna says: I'm the same! Lol, I've had this book sitting on my shelf since January and still haven't read it.  Anyway, I agree with Jess. The US cover is really creepy. Although I'm not sure what the story is about I find myself more interested in the UK cover. Maybe its because I'm not so scared to read that one but I say the UK takes my vote. 

Which do you prefer?
____________________

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

 vs 

Jess says: Right, so I haven't read this book yet, but I've heard good things. On to the covers. This is hard, I like them both, I love the US cover with its contrast in colour and the mirror image on the lake, of who I can only assume is the heroine? Anyway, the UK cover gives off a great 'witches coven' sort of idea. I love that design behind the three girls, and this sort of gives of a vibe from the movie 'The Craft'. But if I really had to choose? I would go for the US cover. It just has that something more about it. It catches my eye a bit more than the UK cover.
Donna says: I did enjoyed this book so I kind of see what the US book is saying from the cover but the UK cover, well, confuses me. It took me a while to figure out who the girls on the cover are. But no, I love the US cover more. I really like that is spilt to two different pictures and once you've read the story you will know who it is. So, the US takes this one for me. 

Which do you prefer?
______________________

Okay guys, this weeks US vs UK goes to....Neither! Its a draw. Third time in a row.

Tune in next week for more :) 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I prefer the UK version of The Replacement, the US one its a bit creepy with the pram.

But then I prefer the US cover for Hex Hall, it's much prettier.

Book Passion for Life said...

Yeah Em, great we all think a like! lol Donna x

Elodie said...

I love the US covers for both of these books =)

Mia said...

My vote goes to-
UK for The Replacement and US for the Hex Hall.
Yes the guy is totally hot and I am not really comfortable with the freaky background in which the baby's pram is kept.
Mia
http://bookaholic5.blogspot.com

Bex said...

US for both ones, definitely. The Replacements UK version looks like a bad teen horror book and the UK Hex Hall looks like a mix between Mean Girls and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Sorry!

I love that the first US cover is creepy and it definitely draws me in and the second one is lovely; both colours and the whole reflection thing!

Book Passion for Life said...

That's it Bex! Lol I was trying to think what the UK cover for Hex Hall reminds me off and it is Sabrina/Mean Girls. Lol I liked Sabrina though. Donna x

Bex said...

Lol, I thought that was a great comparison. ;) But yeah I actually liked watching both of them, but I don't think it's enough to draw me to the book. Perhaps when I was in middle school... :)

Book Passion for Life said...

It was an okay read. It was to difficult so ended up being a nice light read. It kept me interested enough to read the next one though :)

mendy said...

The US covers win.
The creepy vibe coming from the Replacement cover is what drew me in the first place. If you read the story you'll understand its cover.

I love Hex Hall's cover and the reflection concept. The UK don't even have Sophie on it. How can you put minor characters on it and not the main one?

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis