Pages

Friday 13 April 2012

A Review for Dreamless (Starcrossed #2) by Josphine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)Posted by Donna
Expected Published Date: May 29th, 2012
Finished Date: April 10th, 2012
Publishers: HarperTeen
Source: ARC, For Review
Format: Kindle
Pages: 487
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: As the only Scion that can enter Hades at will, Helen descends to the Underworld in search of a way to overcome the Furies and end the cycle of revenge that has cursed the Scions. But she’s running out of time. Each descent weakens her both in mind and spirit. A mysterious stranger might be her only salvation, but the price may be her love for Lucas Delos. As an unforgettable love triangle emerges, Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding. The eagerly awaited sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed, Dreamless delivers with a huge emotional impact that will leave readers satisfied—and longing for more.
<
The Review: Dreamless was one of my most anticipated books of this year, so when I found it was available for review I jumped at the chance to read it. And now…..after reading I’m so disappointed with it and here’s why.

When Helen discovers she’s the only Scion that can enter the Underworld at will, she is fast to take on the journey to try and stop the Furies from collecting any more blood debts from the other Scion’s. But taking on the task isn’t easy for Helen because she is literally going through hell and back. Every night she enters the Underworld and she comes back that little bit weaker…it’s safe to say her family and friends are starting to worry about her. One night while in the Underworld, Helen comes across a boy, a boy called Orion who is ready to defend her against the evils that try to cause her harm. Soon Helen and Orion take on the task together and try and defeat the Furies one and for all.

Last year when I read Starcrossed I was left speechless because I completely fell in love with it, so I was really excited to see where the author took Dreamless but you know I’m disappointed. Now, I cannot knock the author’s fantastic style of writing, which is very descriptive and places and events are so easy to imagine, but there are definitely things which I didn’t like.
The main part of the problem was the LOVE TRIANGLE! I can’t count how many times I’ve read a second book and the author introduces a new guy and I’m seriously starting to pull my hair out with this storyline. I need and want something more from a second book and don’t get me wrong, in some cases I do like a love triangle but this time I didn’t. There are certain events that happen in Starcrossed that lead to a big change to Helen and Lucas’s relationship, and even though it was a shock, I was still excited to see how they would overcome this problem. I was really hoping for them to go on some mission to try and prove it wrong. BUT it was like everyone had moved on and just agreed with everything they’d been told. It’s hard for Helen and Lucas to be around each other and because of this Helen and Lucas didn’t spend a lot of time together and this is what I missed most.  I fell in love with Starcrossed because of the relationship they had and I missed it, pined for it and really just wanted to skip the whole of the book and have book three ready and waiting for me so I could see them together (because you know it will all work out in the end, it always does) So yes, I’m disappointed but anyway, let’s move on.

The characters become so much stronger during the course of this book - especially Helen. She goes through so many trials and she’s determined to defeat the Furies. She really goes through a lot and you can’t help be proud of her. And Lucas, I feel for him. He takes things the hardest and it really changes him. He really does become a whole new person but he still goes out of his way to help Helen and I loved that about him. He’s still so protective of her and loves her no matter what. Now Orion, I did like him and I liked him as a character but I would have preferred his relationship with Helen to stay as friends because that’s how it starts but it is what it is, so yeah I liked it him despite everything else.

Now one of my favourite things about this book was how we meet so many different Greek Gods – ones that I’ve never read about before EVER and I think the author did a fantastic job introducing each and everyone one of them.

Overall, I am disappointed with Dreamless but don’t let my feelings stop you from reading this book. It’s still a good book and I will definitely be picking up the final book in the series – just to see how everything plays out.

A huge thank you to HarperTeen and Edelweiss for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

16 comments:

Bella said...

Aww, sometimes love triangles really annoy me >.< I adored the first one too, so I was really hoping this wouldn't suffer from Second Book Syndrome but it sounds like it does... :/ Oh well - I'm still super excited! Thanks for the review :)

Erin W. said...

I absolutely ADORED Starcrossed and it was one of my favourites . . . but sucks that you were disappointed in this sequel. I know what you mean when it comes to love triangles and most of the time they're pointless but I still have faith in this book and still can't wait to read it.

Anyway great review! Pity it was disappointing, so I hope I like it more.

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Love triangles drive me insane and I'm really disappointed to hear this book goes down that route. :( I really enjoyed Starcrossed and had high hopes for this one. It sounds like a lot of people didn't enjoy this as much. Still, great review Donna!

Emily Blake said...

I didn't really like Starcrossed and I hate love triangles so I'm not really excited about reading this book. Great review Donna! :)

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

Oh a love triangle and only 3 stars. Not good. I have this too so only skimmed your review. I can't believe there's a love triangle now. I loved Starcrossed. I feel that this just may ruin this series for me now because I really like Lucas. I think I'll move it up the list and read it next. Just have a few novellas to get through first

Allison said...

I really really love the love triangle. I mean I get frustrated but it's an excited frustrated. I love Greek Mythology infused fiction so I'll definitely give this one a try! Thanks for the review :)

Anonymous said...

I wish there wasn't a love triangle. There are so many. It would be a great change if one didn't appear in a series.

Safari Poet

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

I haven't read the previous book in this series but I definitely agree with you - I'm not a fan of love triangles either. Especially when the book basically centres around this whole love issue. :(

Carly said...

I still have to read Starcrossed, but it is on my TBR list. Thanks for an honest review, Donna & sorry your disappointed with this one, maybe the third one will pick up again :)

Bex said...

Oh no! That doesn't sound to promising... I've actually not read the first one yet, but I've been dying to. I only skimmed it because of this, but it sucks to be disappointed. I'm curious to see what I'll think when I get to it! Great review.

Elodie said...

Sorry to hear this one let you down Donna :(. I've heard negative thigs about Starcrossed so I'm not really planning on reading the series anyway but it was nice to read your review :) !!

Carina Olsen said...

Great review :) And, yeah, I don't think I will read this book :( See, I have the first book, but haven't read it. And I have pre-ordered this one. But I'm gonna wait reading them both until after I see if the third book is worth it at all. Because I agree with you. I CANNOT stand love triangles. I don't understand them. If the author want a different love story; just make a new book with new characters. I just think it makes books WORSE, and love triangles make me not want to read books at all. It just is not fair, really :\ So, yeah, I won't read this book ;p But great review :D
Love, Carina

caroline.taylor078 said...

I just couldn't get into the first book in this series which was a shame as I had looked forward to it for ages!

Suzanne Finnegan said...

Oh, do you really think it will work out in the end? I really hope your right. I was hoping that they would find out that Daphne was lying in this one. I can't fathom why she is lying but I cant wait for them to find out the truth. And I really liked Orion too, but the same, I wanted them to stay as friends. 

I have to admit I still really liked this though. Now we have a long wait to see what happens next. 

I just dropped back to actually read your review this time. Awesome by the way :)

Lisa 'Li-li' Harwood said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this, I loved Starcrossed! Fab review

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis