Pages

Monday 5 December 2011

US vs UK (#33)


Welcome to Book Passion for Life's 33rd US vs UK book cover battle. We've seen this posted on a few other blogs, and thought we'd jump on the band wagon!

The idea of this battle is once a week we'll post 2 sets of books of our choice, one US cover and one UK cover, and we'll just give our opinion on which one we love the most. Which cover captures the story, which one would catch our eye if we saw it on the shelf in a shop. The US cover will be on the left, and the UK cover will be on the right.


The Scores so far are: 
US: 9  UK: 13  Draw: 9

US vs UK Round 33

The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen

VS 

Jess's thoughts: I like both of these. They both give off that creepy stalker effect which is a good thing. So yeah, it's a tie for me this week.

Donna's thoughts: I have to say I actually I like both. The US cover gives that movie type feel to it but then then UK cover draws me in more. If I had to choose, I'd pick the UK cover. I like how the girl is on the cover, she's quite pretty too and then with the guy in the background. But I love how creepy looking the cover is and even the red font is stunning. 

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

VS  


Jess's thoughts: I'm going with the UK on this one. I love these red editions. I love the silver font, I love the black flower, and I love the blood leaking over the cover. Everything about it is beautiful. I don't like the US version, because that isn't how I picture Rose, and that model looks like Angelina Jolie, and I hate Angelina Jolie. 

Donna's thoughts: I really like both covers for VA but I guess I'm picking the UK cover. I just love it. It's  simple and designed beautifully. I love the rose and how its in black and I love the silver font but what I love most, is the blood dripping from the corner of the book. Honestly, I wish they'd release the UK cover in hardback so I could buy them all. 


Which do you prefer?
__________________

Okay guys, this weeks US vs UK goes to....UK with four votes

Come back next week for more US vs UK! :) 

15 comments:

The More the Merrier said...

I have to go with the UK on both covers. The Vampire Stalker for the UK has a creepier feel to it. As far as the Vampire Academy cover, I've never been a fan of the US version. The girl doesn't fit the characteristics of the Rose described in the book.

Wee Shubba said...

Personally I don't like the vampire stalker covers at all. But the VA books are always hard I love both. But as a set the UK are bold and stunning and I love the dripping blood in the top corner.

Erin W. said...

For the Vampire Stalker book, I would go for the UK cover. It's much more simple. As for Vampire Academy, I don't particularly like the UK covers. I prefer the US ones. I don't like cover models sometimes because it's all the same with YA books, but I love this cover model. She was how I pictured Rose. And she reminds me of Angelina Jolie . . . whom I love. :)

Lindsey's Bookshelf said...

Uk for both, they both draw me in a whole lot more than the us covers.

Hannah @ Dragons and Whimsy said...

UK for both for me. Not fond of the title font on the US cover of The Vampire Stalker, even if the girl on the UK edition reminds me of Gwen from Torchwood! And it's a no brainer for Vampire Academy. I don't like the US cover and I do love simple covers like the UK one.

Suzy, The Grey Brunette said...

I'm going with the UK for both covers although I'm not a big fan of either of the Vampire Academy covers... I don't think they do it justice at all.
I wanna know why we have different covers for UK and US??

evening-green said...

US for both. I think the US cover for Vampire Stalker is original and draws you in, the UK one is creepy but I don't like it as much as the other one.
I've never gotten used to the re-designed UK covers for the Vampire Academy Series, I don't like the colors and compostition and the blood looks a tad too fake. I don't picture Rose like the cover-model on the US cover, but I like the cover anyway.

Yiota said...

I think i will go with #1: US and #2: UK :D

Kayleigh @ K-Books said...

UK for Vampire Stalker but idk for Vamp Academy, i much prefer the original UK covers, I hate these Red ones and I was so annoyed when they only brought Last Sacrifice out in the red cover. I just don't like them.

Mel said...

I'm not a big fan of close ups of faces on the covers of books so for VA I would definitely go with the UK cover. I also like teh blood at the top of the book and the black rose motif.

I prefer the US for the Vampire Stalker though - the red book in the girl's hand and the creepy street just appeak much more to me! :-)

hernameisavril said...

U.S for 1 and U.K for 2

Aravis said...

I have to go with the U.S. cover for Vampire Stalker. The background reflects the environment in which the story takes place. The book is set in the city, not the woods. I like the girl on the U.K. cover, but overall it just doesn't work for me.

I prefer the U.K. cover for Vampire Academy, though. It's not that I love the red cover so much, but that I too hate Angelina Jolie, and see her every time I've ever looked at that cover. Blah. So definitely the U.K. :0)

Mierke said...

Stalker: US edition. I think it's much, much creepier than the UK edition.

Academy: I find it pretty hard to look at these objectively, because I have covers that are almost the US covers and I'm so used to them that the UK cover just looks fake. That said, I think if I hadn't seen them before, I'd prefer the UK cover. I like to be able to imagine how the characters look myself and I just love the image of that rose with the thorns.

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

I like the US more for both (:!

Klaudia said...

UK for Stalker but US for Vampire Academy

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis