Pages

Thursday 8 December 2011

A Review for The Beginning (LS #1) by Kelvin O'Ralph

Posted by Donna
Published Date: June 15th, 2011
Finished Date: December 1st, 2011
Source: For Review from Author
Format: Kindle
Pages: 316 

The Blurb from Goodreads: A handshake between strangers has never held so much promise for discovery. When Stephen Wilson meets Lisa Morgan at his new school in Sloutenville, it is the simple act of extending his hand in greeting that flips both of their worlds upside-down. With the gesture, both discover that in some way they are connected, and that they share the ability to manipulate the elements, fire and water. Though their abilities vary, they share the gift of telepathy allowing them to communicate without words, which creates a bond between them stronger than either had expected. As the two begin to spend more and more time together, David, Lisa's ex becomes wild with jealousy, launching multiple attacks on Lisa. In the fight against the dangers that await them around every corner, Stephen and Lisa soon discover that they are up against much greater odds than they had originally known, and that their struggles are far from over.

The Review: The Beginning was one of them books that you knew was going to be good, you just didn't know how good. Well, I honestly thought it was very enjoyable and liked the direction author took with this novel.

The story follows Stephen Wilson who moves to a new school in Sloutenville. When he meets Lisa Morgan one day, they shake hands and from that moment his life suddenly changes. Both Lisa and Stephen soon discover they are connected and that they can manipulate the elements, fire and water. Stephan and Lisa soon become fast friends but when Lisa's ex becomes jealous, this only leads to dangerous things.

It's not often I read books from the male prospective and I have to say I do usually prefer a female one because I feel more connected to them. Hey, I'm female...so it's expected BUT I have to say I think Kelvin O'Ralph did a great job with Stephen. He created a really likeable character that was easy to connect too and had a great personality. I really enjoyed the emotions that Stephen had when he first connects with Lisa and I definitely enjoyed how his feelings developed for her.

The general storyline itself was at a good pace with a great mix of excitement and romance, with a few twists and turns. There were a few questions that weren't answered in this book but leaves me interested to read book two.

My only complaint with the book is I would have of liked a bit more dialogue and depth from the characters, however I could over look that because it was a good read and I'd recommend anyone to try it.

Thank you to the author for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

3 comments:

Evie said...

Great review! :) I've been asked to review this book on my blog, but being swamped as I am I couldn't accept the offer. I think 90% of the books I've read this year were supernatural/paranormal and I'm thinking I should really take a break from those.. I crave contemporary! LOL

This might be a good book, but I think I won't be picking it up anytime in the nearest future, I just don't think I can take another paranormal/supernatural YA book hahah :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D <3

Anonymous said...

I agree with how rare it is to read books from a male protagonist's perspective, especially in the YA genre. John Green does an excellent job of this, but then he's an all-around great writer!

Unknown said...

Haha, that's not fair @Stephenie. So true, but unfair.

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis