Pages

Monday 12 December 2011

A Review for Die For Me by Amy Plum


Posted by Jess
Published Date: May 10th, 2011
Finished Date: December 12th, 2011
Publishers: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 341

The blurb from Goodreads:In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.
When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.
Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

The Review: Well Die for Me, was awesome. I'd heard a lot of mixed reviews about it and I couldn't remember what the concept was about until I read it. I loved the whole concept of the story. It was the first time I'd read anything on Revenants, I mean there have been books I've read where they are mentioned, but Die for Me was the first book solely about Revenants (meaning 'To Come Back') in French. 

Kate our main protagonist was very likeable from the get go. She pretty much keeps herself to herself, she likes to read in little cafĂ©'s in Paris. Then she meets Vincent Delacroix...ahh Vincent (his name sounds sexier if you say it the way the French say it lol). The relationship forged between these two wasn't as fast as regular YA romances are forged, it's a lot of stay away, keep my distance sort of thing. But it was still pretty quick, but I'm used to reading insta love in YA books now so it doesn't grate on me as much as it probably should. Vincent will have you swooning like no other, he sorta reminded me a lot of Patch but that's a good thing. He'll even buy you a silk ball gown, and take you for a boat ride along the Seine for your birthday. He'll go as far as reserving season tickets to the Opera as well. Yeah...they don't come any more romantic than Vincent Delacroix.

Every character in this book was pretty amazing, I especially loved Charlotte, Ambrose, and Jules, and at first I thought there was going to be some sort of love triangle between Kate, Jules and Vincent, but Kate made her choice really early on and I think it was the right one. I wasn't overly fond of Georgia, Kate's sister but I got to like her in the end. All the characters grow through out the book and Kate becomes a much stronger person in a way where when it came to the moment, she would defend Vincent's body (he's currently dormant at this point...it's all in the book so read it), even if it meant sacrificing herself to the leader of Numa, Lucien. Speaking of Lucien, I never liked him from the start. From the moment he appears in the book I knew there was something off about him, but he makes one hell of a vindictive little b******d!

Overall this book was pretty surprising and I found myself loving it more than I thought I would. It's a nice fresh concept on the undead, and the fact it's set in Paris and there are oodles of sexy guys (Vincent, Jules and Ambrose) to name a few makes this the perfect little read if you want a new take on YA.

I can't wait for the second one! I want more Vincent, more Jules, and more Ambrose!


11 comments:

Evie said...

I can't wait to read this one! it's definitely going to be on my 2012 TBR :) Fabulous review, hun! :)

Giselle said...

Ooh I'm so excited fro this one I can't believe I haven't read it yet it sounds awesome. I also love a book with great characters! Wonderful review!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Ning said...

this one's cover totally caught my eye! So glad you enjoyed it. I'll pick it up the next time I'm at the bookstore. it'll be on my list of YA reading challenge for next year!

Ari (Reading After Midnight) said...

Oh, you make this book sound so good.
I've seen mostly positive reviews so far so I can't wait to get my hands on it as well, and meet Vincent of course ;)) Great review!

Alba said...

thanks for the review!!! and WOW I love the name...Vincent!! I'm dying to read this book and now it sounds even better!!! >.<

Melliane said...

It's a book I really need to read, I keep hearing amazing stuff about it. I'm glad you lied it, Thanks for the review

Anonymous said...

Great review :) I adored the book and I'm waiting(very impatient) on Until I Die :)

mk said...

I really, really, really want to read this book but I haven't gotten the chance to buy it.. I'm growing impatient and I hope I get my hands on it soon. Great review!

Hannah said...

I really liked this book. It was a fun read. Glad you liked it as well!

iluvkimi_220 said...

Great review. I finally got a copy of the book today and I look forward to reading it

Alyssa_Susanna said...

Oooooo I really like this book! I won it from Amy, and I have to say, for a book about "dead" people, I really like it!!!!! France is sooo beautifully described in this book!!! I believe Amy lives there, so it makes sense that she would have such a good feel of the setting. I love the characters too. Great debut!!! I have Until I Die and will read that soon. Thanks for the review!!!!!

Alyssa Susanna

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis