Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

A Review for Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris

Unravelling
Posted by Donna
Release Date: June 7th, 2012
Finished Date: May 25th, 2012
Publishers: HarperCollins UK
Source: ARC for Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 416
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

24 meets the X Files in the biggest teen blockbuster of the summer…


STOP THE COUNTDOWN. SAVE THE WORLD… 
Leaving the beach, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit head on by a pickup truck. And killed. Then Ben Michaels, resident stoner, is leaning over her. And even though it isn’t possible, she knows Ben somehow brought her back to life…
Meanwhile, Janelle’s father, a special agent for the FBI, starts working on a case that seems strangely connected to Ben. Digging in his files, Janelle finds a mysterious device – one that seems to be counting down to something that will happen in 23 days and 10 hours time. That something? It might just be the end of the world. And if Janelle wants to stop it, she’s going to need to uncover Ben’s secrets – and keep from falling in love with him in the process…

The Review: I finished Unravelling just over two weeks ago and I’m still struggling to write this review because, honestly, I don’t think I can give it the justice it deserves. It’s such a unique read that pulls you in from the very first page and it keeps you enthralled until the very last, making you want more and more. 
<
Janelle Tenner is a normal seventeen-year-old girl until one day she is hit by a truck and is killed. But the next thing she see’s is Ben Michaels kneeling over her and she knows that he had something to do with bringing her back to life. Janelle tries to get closer to Ben to find out what really happened but Ben’s hiding’s bigger secrets and he’s somehow involved in her Dad’s new FBI case where unidentified people are turning up – dead and somehow the world only 23 days left resulting to the end of the world. 
<
Unravelling is absolutely EPIC read and I’m still trying to get over how awesome it really is. I’ve heard mixed reviews about this book and I personally think it’s going to be one of them that you're either going to love it or hate it, and of course, I loved it. Elizabeth Norris introduces you to something fresh, imaginative and beautifully written, with intense and action packed scenes and a storyline that is exciting and unique. The story continued to surprise me all the way through and there were so many twists and turns that left me utterly stunned. It’s impossible to predict this book and it was definitely one of my favourite reads of 2012. 
>
Janelle is a great heroine. She’s smart, feisty and witty. She never backs down from a challenge and will always stand up for what she believes is right. The way her mind works really is captivating too. With her Dad being a FBI agent, she’s picks up a lot of insight from him, like how to figure out which hand someone will use to fire a gun or she thinks fast to get herself out of dangerous situations and I really see her as a FBI agent in training. She’s definitely the hero in this book. 
Ben was a great love interest for Janelle. He isn’t what he appears to be, he’s been labelled as a stoner kid at school and he’s anything but. He’s just as smart as Janelle, he’s funny, loving and he really cares for her. They have a connection that knows-one can break and it’s really sweet. The secondary characters were fantastic too. I love Elijah, Reid and Alex especially Elijah. His relationship with Janelle is a pure hate relationship but it’s so funny at times that it gives the story the humour it needs. 
>
Now the ending of the book is utterly heart-breaking but so, so good. Be warned, it’s a tear jerker! I knew it was coming but I still wasn’t prepared for it and Elizabeth Norris ended things so fantastically that I’m dying for the next book. The last words that Ben spoke to Janelle are still with me now and I have no doubt that Ben will keep his promise. I cannot wait to see how things turn out. 
>
All in all, Unravelling is a remarkable debut novel by Elizabeth Norris and I will eagerly anticipating the release of the next book. It's not a book you want to miss out on in 2012, so go and pick up a copy today - you won't regret it! 
<
A huge thank you to HarperCollins UK for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

13 comments:

Emily Blake said...

Yay I'm so glad you liked this book! It's been on my TBR for a long time and your review makes me want to read it even more! :)

~Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

Ruby Replogle said...

I LOVED this book. My friend won an ARC (AND HASN'T READ IT YET!) So i borrowed it off her and was astounded at how amazing it was. Definite one of my favourite reads this year.

Erin W. said...

I enjoyed this book but I didn't love it as much as I wanted to which was shame but it was a fun read for sure. Still . . . I'm looking forward to seeing what the author will do next in the sequel. Anyway great review!

nat cleary said...

Great review!!! Im so looking forward to reading this, Ive had my copy preordered for ages :)

Gabby Holtan said...

I am dying to read this one! I can not wait until I get a copy I can sink my claws into!

Awesome Review :)

Ca4ole said...

I was wondering whether you would be happy to put up a link
in my monthly series called “Books You Love”. 
The idea is for people to link up posts about a book they loved – it
doesn’t have to be one they just posted about. 
It could be an old fave.  I am
hoping we will end up with a nice collection of books that can go on our
reading lists.  Here is the link
Books You Loved June Edition

Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire said...

Great review! I just want to say the UK cover is so much cooler than the US one! 

YearningtoRead said...

I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK.  LOVELOVELOVE.  Ben - oh MY gosh!!  I loved him so much!!  And Janelle was a great character I related to easily!  The story was soooo intense and the END!  GASP!!

I'm in love.  Can't wait to buy this and have it on my shelf. :D

Great review, totally how I felt! :D

Sierra @ Yearning to Read

Brodie said...

OH MAN!!! I've been hearing amazing things about this, so I know to expect something incredible, but every review I read somehow makes me even MORE excited. I actually started reading it today, but I'm only up to around where Ben brought her back to life. SO excited to continue reading, although you have me worried about this ending *bites nails*

Fantastic review!!

slightly_foxed said...

I love the cover for this! I'm hoping to get this book today in the mail, it's taken AGES for Amazon to get the stock for it, can't wait to read it...heard some awesome things and a few mixed too.

Gaby said...

I kept seeing this book everywhere but never payed much attention to it then I came across it on this post so I started readng your review and the book actually sounds REALLY good, so good in fact that I put it on my to read list :D

Lea Krnjeta said...

This book was perfect. I cried and I laughed. I love Ben and Janelle.

Alyssa_Susanna said...

Oooo this book was totally EPIC! I borrowed it from the library, and read it in like a couple of hours! I was floored!!! So many intricacies, twists, emotions, GAH! Wow. I don't even have the words for this book. And yet the end was so (inevitable) sad! You know it's coming but you don't want to reach that point... poor Janelle. I am wayyyy too invested in this book (not a bad thing though, right?). Thanks for the review!!!!!

Alyssa <3

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis