Pages

Sunday 24 June 2012

A Review for The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2) by Richelle Mead

Posted by Jess
Release Date:  June 12th, 2012
Finished Date: June 17th, 2012
Publishers: Razorbill
Source: Bought
Format:  Paperback
Pages: 418
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo



The second thrilling instalment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spin off series
 <
Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.
 <
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.


The Review: "Nice blouse, Sage," he told me, deadpan. "It really brings out the khaki in your pants." -Adrian
<
Well, Richelle Mead never disappoints. I loved Bloodlines when I read it last year, and I loved this even more. Richelle, like with all her books always finds a way to suck you in from the start. Her characters get right in there, and you connect with them from the get go. There was nothing different about The Golden Lily with regards to that. It was amazing, and it felt really good to get back with the characters. 
<
Sydney has come a long way from the days of Vampire Academy. Back then she wasn't overly likable. But now having seen her story from the beginning in Bloodlines to now, she's very likable. She isn't Rose, but that's fine. To begin with Sydney is against vampires, but this is based on what she has been taught all her life by the other Alchemists. She follows the instructions and the rules. She tries not to get emotionally involved but from working so close with Jill, Eddie and Adrian she learns that maybe vampires aren't all that bad, but human can be just as evil.
<
Adrian is back. Oh boy is he back. He's still his witty self. Full of charisma and charm. I didn't realise how much I really missed him until he came back in the book. As most of you will know I've always been Team Dimitri, but reading this series will make you love Adrian just as much. He doesn't take away the love I have for Dimitri, but he's a perfectly good substitute for it. You'll be pleased to know that Dimitri does in fact make an appearance, he's very much a secondary character now, and that's fine, because there's enough story and enough Adrian to help you through it.
<
The plot itself went from strength to strength. Like all Richelle Mead they're never predictable, and always full of shocks and revelations that leave the reader reeling and wanting more. This was no different. I was completely enthralled. Although it had been a while since I'd read Bloodlines, and I probably should have done a re-read, but in all honesty, Richelle adds refresher hints through out the book that it all eventually comes swinging back to you. There was constant action, new characters, old characters and well thought out plot that leaves you interested and keen to go on reading. 
<
The ending to this book...killed me. You'll find out why when you read this. It made me want to scream, but this is what Richelle does best with her books. She leaves you wanting to scream and also wishing that the next book was right there. And the ending to The Golden Lily is no different.
<
Overall, The Golden Lily, was wonderful. I couldn't get enough of it. With it's mystery, unpredictability and witty repartee between the characters, provides for a very addictive read that will simply leave you wanting more and more.
<
I look forward to reading book 3 The Indigo Spell, February 2013 cannot come soon enough.
<

13 comments:

Crystal Burns said...

Everyone keeps giving this book such high rating, and it's making me even more anxious to get it! Hopefully my copy getting here on Monday.

Great review :D

Sam @ Realm of Fiction said...

Kind of nervous about reading this book as I didn't like Bloodlines but all the great reviews have changed my mind! Besides, Adrian always makes things entertaining. ;) Great review Jess!

Fara Nani said...

Yay! Glad to hear you love it too! And totally. Richelle Mead never disappoints. Awesome review! :D

Fara @ Tumbling In Books

Erin W. said...

<3 this series because it keeps on getting better and better. Anyway fab review!

Brodie said...

Yes, yes and YES!! Oh gosh. Adrian. I freaking love that guy so much. He's always been at the top of my Fictional BF list for years and the Bloodlines series is just cementing his crowning position. He KILLED ME IN THE GOLDEN LILY. *swoon* And oh... god... I agree... that last chapter? How can we go from two totally separate emotions within the space of a few pages? *clutches heart*

Fantastic review, so glad you loved this!!

Carly Chambers said...

*sigh* I have been hearing awesome things about these books but I haven't yet gotten round to reading them! Fab review, Jess, glad you loved this one, I hope I get round to reading Bloodlines soon! :)

nat cleary said...

Great review. Im so excited to read this!!! I love Adrian :)

Jennifer Kalman said...

I am so anxious to read this book. I absolutely love the VA series and really loved Bloodlines.

caroline.taylor078 said...

Ooh, I didn't know the 3rd book was going to be called The Indigo Spell, thanks for that news. I really can't wait to get this 2nd book in the series, I really enjoyed the first, still think I'll always prefer The Vampire Academy but its nice to have this spin off series!

Rebecca Hipworth said...

I'm in love with the cover of this book but I've never read the series before. Would I need to read the Vampire Academy books first? :)

Gaby said...

I read this and loved it. I absolutely  loved the ending and I can't wait for the next one :D

Rebecca Hipworth said...

I still need to start this series but from what I hear, it's really good. :)

Gaby said...

OMG I'm soo happy you finally read this book and love it. Now we can talk about THAT ending :D

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis