Pages

Tuesday 14 June 2011

A review for Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games #2)

Posted by Donna
Published Date: September 1st, 2010
Finished Date: June 12th, 2011
Format: Kindle
Pages: 391

The Blurb from Goodreads: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.

The Review: Wow! After finishing this a few days ago this is definitely one of my favourite series. The Hunger Games was a phenomenal book and Catching Fire was a close second.

Catching Fire starts 8 months after the events in The Hunger Games. Katniss and Peeta both survived the games and were both named winners although to the distaste of the game makers. Knowing that her actions in the games will not go unnoticed Katniss tries to start an uprising on the Capitol only to find out that she and Peeta will have to enter the games AGAIN! Will they survive this time around? And who will there be competition?

I loved this book! I nearly enjoyed it as much as the first one but I found the start a little slow. It was definitely a more mellow feel to it, however when hell breaks loose in some of the other districts you’re thrown right back into the action of the story.

Even though I knew before I started this book that Katniss and Peeta were going to return to the games, I never expected to feel the emotions that I did when Katniss found out. She’s always been so strong but for that one moment we see her scared and weak and I loved that we finally got to see a different side of her. Her relationship between Peeta and Gale doesn’t really improve during this book, although we do have a little hope during that games that she will end up with Peeta. With them both back in a deadly situation, you can see how much they care about one another whether in deny or not and I love how they can both lean on another for support.

I also loved that a few new faces were introduced and what I found more exciting was that these people were past winners of the games. It was interesting to meet them and found out how some of them won but I especially liked that we found out Haymitch’s story.  Haymitch has always been abit of a closed book with all his drinking and he likes to shut everything out but we finally see him different towards the end of the book. I for one am interested to see how he plays out.

At times I found the book quiet hard to read, not because the story was bad but because of what the Capitol do to people. They are truly monsters and the death and destruction they leave in their wake just to prove a point is completely horrifying.  Cinna! Poor Cinna! I honestly didn’t see the need for that.

Overall, this was a great sequel, one that has a MASSIVE cliff-hanger…I’m so glad I had the next book ready and waiting for me otherwise I honestly don’t know what I would have done. 

2 comments:

Dani said...

I've just finished this book myself, and I agree! Amazing series.

Aline Tobing said...

Nice review! I also gave 5 stars to this one!

And I just can't wait to see who's gonna play Finnick in the upcoming 2013 movie.  I hope they won't pick the wrong one lol...

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis