Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

A Review for Telesa (The Covenant Keeper) by Lani Wendt Young

Posted by Jess
Published Date: October 19th, 2011
Finished Date: February 29th, 2012
Publishers: Self Published by author
Source: For Review
Format: Kindle

<
The Blurb from Goodreads: When Leila moves to her new home, all she wants is a family, a place to belong. Instead she discovers the local ancient myths of the telesa spirit women are more than just scary stories. The more she finds out about her heritage, the more sinister her new home turns out to be. Embraced by a Covenant Sisterhood of earth's elemental guardians - what will Leila choose? Her fiery birthright as a telesa? Or will she choose the boy who offers her his heart? Daniel - stamped with the distinctive tattoo markings of a noble Pacific warrior and willing to risk everything for the chance to be with her. Can their love stand against the Covenant Keeper?

A thriller-romance with a difference. If you enjoyed Twilight, then you will be enthralled by Telesa as it blends the richness of Pacific mythology into a contemporary young adult love story that will stay with you long after you have turned the final page.

The Review: "Give me another chance. To show you a better side of Samoa. Of me?"-Daniel. 

When Lani Young contacted me personally to review her book, I was flattered and totally intrigued after reading the blurb for the book. 

This book is set in Samoa, which is just so refreshing from your bog standard YA novels set in the US. It was a nice change of pace, and Lani Young did extremely well with describing the Samoan landscape, it's smells, and the language used in that part of the world. It didn't feel like you were reading a travel guide of the Island. 

Let me begin with Leila, she's extremely kick ass and strong. She's immediately likeable, she has a little temper on her which she tries to control when she moves to Samoa in search of answers about her mother. She meets Daniel (*sigh*). He's this super hot, rugby star at SamCo (Samoa College) and Leila at first doesn't like him and judges him far too quickly. But they both soon learn that they both aren't what they thought and after much talking (like Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett) they form an attachment, which leads to a kiss, which leads to Leila bursting into flames...literally. The romance between these two was slow to progress, there was no insta-love, and that's the way I like YA romances to be. Not instant, but slowly built over the course of the novel. 

Although I slugged through some parts, most of this novel will keep you wanting to read more. The plot and the story is intriguing. Lani Young has managed to include myth and legend bringing to life a tale of wonder. 

There was a nice little twist at the end, which leaves you wanting book 2 straight away. But alas, we must wait, not long though, after March I believe book 2 is set to be released. 

There isn't a lot I can say about this book, but I'm unsure as to why it hasn't been picked up by a publisher yet, it's a shame because it's a great story, it's new it different, it has everything that a YA novel should have. A kick ass protagonist, a hot boy (actually 2 hot boys...Jason is there too), wicked friends, evil woman spirits, an exotic country full of mystery and legend. 

All I can is that, I think you should most definitely read this book. Give it a go. You may just be pleasantly surprised by how much you'll enjoy it. I know I was.

Thank you to Lani Young, for allowing me to review this. I enjoyed it and I early anticipate book 2, When Water Burns.

2 comments:

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Kick-ass protagonists are my favourite! Awesome review. I'll have to check this out when I can. I like the sound of it being set in Samoa! It definitely makes a nice change. :)

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I really enjoy some self-published stories, I'm happy to hear this is a good one. It's usually hit or miss. Definitely want to check this one out, thanks for the great review!

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis