Pages

Monday 16 September 2013

A Review for The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies #4) by Pittacus Lore

17132881Posted by Donna
Release Date: August 29th, 2013
Finished Date: 
Publishers: Penguin UK
Genre: YA Sci-fi
Source: For Review
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
The Garde are finally reunited, but do they have what it takes to win the war against the Mogadorians?

John Smith—Number Four—thought that things would change once the Garde found each other. They would stop running. They would fight the Mogadorians. And they would win.

But he was wrong. After facing off with the Mogadorian ruler and almost being annihilated, the Garde know they are drastically unprepared and hopelessly outgunned. Now they’re hiding out in Nine’s Chicago penthouse, trying to figure out their next move.

The six of them are powerful, but they’re not strong enough yet to take on an entire army—even with the return of an old ally. To defeat their enemy, the Garde must master their Legacies and learn to work together as a team. More importantly, they’ll have to discover the truth about the Elders and their plan for the Loric survivors.

And when the Garde receive a sign from Number Five—a crop circle in the shape of a Loric symbol—they know they are so close to being reunited. But could it be a trap? Time is running out, and the only thing they know for certain is that they have to get to Five before it’s too late.

The Garde may have lost battles, but they will not lose this war.

Lorien will rise again.

The Review: Holy smokes - I was totally not expecting that! Before going into The Fall of Five, I have to say, I wasn't expecting a lot. I've seen other reviews were people feel as though this is the weak book in the series - I'd have to disagree with that.

Like the The Rise of Nine, The Fall of Five is told from multiple points of view, however this time, we see Sam (yay!), John and Marina. They're all coming to their own conclusions of whats happened over the last few weeks, but they all want things to change. They want to become stronger and better so they can defeat the Mogadorian'. It's not until number Five sends a message to the remaining Garde that they realise they need to reach him before the Mog's do.

After reading The Rise of Nine, which I didn't enjoyed as the first two books, I guess you could say it lowered my expectations for the fourth book, but I was glad to be proven wrong. The Fall of Five was a great read for me, it was fast paced and full on surprises. There were a few exciting twists that I wasn't expecting, and some that I did, but still it didn't make me enjoy the book any less, I still loved it. I wasn't sure which direction Pittacus Lore would take, but it was very interesting and so important to the Lorien's journey - it was great. It leaves me questioning a lot of things but I know I'll soon have the answers. 

One thing that I always enjoy from these stories are the multiple points of view and this one didn't disappointment. There's one scene in particular that I loved - it's a fight scene between the characters training and Pittacus Lore jumps back and fourth between Sam, Marina and John. It was really good to read, very entertaining and very thrilling! It was good for the characters to have some down time and enjoy spending time together. I think it's important that they do that because, well, they do need to start rebuilding a race/world together eventually - if they win the war. I did kind of miss Six's point of view but Sam made up for that. It was good to FINALLY see Sam. I missed him the last book, so this definitely made up for it. 

I love all the characters - except Sarah, but the one I like the most is Eight. I don't know why but there's something about him - he's sweet and caring and the way he is with Marina is touching. And then there's Nine, arrogant and cocky Nine. It would definitely be dull without him. 

Now onto the romance, I love the romance in this book, however and this is a big however. I want the aliens to be with the aliens. I know! I know! I love Sam but not keen on Sarah, but I want John and Six together! I was so hoping it would happen but Sarah (Grrr) is there. I haven't lost hope yet but it doesn't look good. Or maybe Six and Nine - I guess that could work. ;)

Overall, The Lorien Legacies is one of my favourite series and I'm glad it's still going strong. I'm more than excited for the next two books because you honestly just don't know what's going to happen. If you're looking for a fast page turner, then this is the series for you.

2 comments:

shellyzev said...

The Fall of Five is one of my favourites of 2013 so far but I can't review it because I have no idea how to describe the awesomeness without giving away the ending! Eight is also my favourite character but as for the relationships, I don't mind Sam and Six being together. I just don't like Sarah very much. Great review! :)

Sonwabile Sony Antonie said...

im also rooting for John and Six cos they would make a badass combo. Sarah just drives me nuts and was hoping she would get killed off in this book so the plot could more on a bit...o well

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis