Pages

Thursday 19 September 2013

A Review for Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles #2) by Kresley Cole

17334529 Posted by Donna
Release Date: October 1st, 2013
Finished Date: September 16th, 2013
Publishers: Simon & Schuster
Genre: YA Dystopian
Source: For review from author
Format: PDF
Pages: 336
In the second book of the Arcana Chronicles Evie has now fully come into her powers as the tarot Empress. And Jackson was there to see it all. In the aftermath of killing Arthur, the tarot Alchemist, Evie realizes that a war is brewing between the other teens that, following the apocalypse, have been given powers and its kill or be killed. 

Things get even more complicated when Evie meets Death, the mysterious, sexy Endless Knight. Somehow the Empress and Death share a romantic history - one that Evie can't remember, but Death can't forget. She is drawn to the Endless Knight, but is in love with Jack. Determined to discover why she's been granted these powers, Evie struggles to accept her place in a prophecy that will either save the world, or completely destroy it.

The Review: "T'es pour moi, Evie. You're mine. Every part of you." He leaned down, took my lips once more. Between kisses, he said, "I told you once and I'll tell you again: there is nothing that can happen to you that we can't get past. Just five me a chance to get to you. Promise me."

You all know how nerve racking it can be to go into a sequel, the whole dreaded second book syndrome? Well, I for one was especially nervous to read Endless Knight because I absolutely loved Poison Princess, and I really didn't want the sequel to fall into that category. Well I can tell you....it doesn't! Endless Knight is just as good as it's predecessor, if not even better! 

In this instalment of the Arcana chronicles, we see Evie - who has now fully come into her full powers - finally take control. She knows who she once was and knows what's expected of her, however, Evie wants no part in the game. When Death's interest in Evie takes a drastic turn, she suddenly finds herself running from more than one bad thing that goes bump in the night, but running from Death himself. 

I love the Arcana Chronicles! Kresley Cole has created such a unique and spell-binding world and I honestly can't recall ever reading another series quiet like this. The way she's incorporated the tarot cards into this haunting dystopian world is so amazing. I'm completely captivated from start to finish and as much as such an enjoyable read, it's slightly heartbreaking too....but in a good way.

Evie has such a hard journey throughout this story. Even though she's come into her powers, she still struggles with so much. She's constantly weighed down by the other Arcana constantly looking to kill her, and the fact that Death's in her mind all the time isn't easy. I loved how Evie tried to take charge, she's very mesmerising when she becomes the Empress, and seeing her powers work is quiet fascinating. 

Death is a character that really grew on me, mainly because he's constantly telling Evie that he's going to kill her. It's clear him and Evie have a past but it's not one that were not fully aware of. While the story progresses it's impossible not to fall for death. He's gorgeous and probably one of the most broody characters I've read about, but he slowly comes out of his shell, leaving you torn who Evie should belong with. 

And Jack....sigh. I feel like I should warn that Chapter 10 and 14 are AMAZING! Talk about HOT! This hot tempted, sizzling and lovable Cajun - and although he's not perfect - he can melt anyone's heart. I absolutely love that he makes mistakes and has a hot temper. I love how devoted he is to Evie it's not until this one moment happens that I truly saw how devoted he really is to her; Jack was tensed against his shackles, muscles tight beneath his shirt. "You hurt her, and I'll kill you!" Blood poured from his wrists. "I swear to Christ, I'll gut you!" He has so many swoon-worthy quotes that I know you're all going to love, like this; "When I saw you that day alone in the school courtyard, in your cheer skirt....." His expression was smouldering. " I wanted to lay you back on that table and take you right there, Evangeline." *sigh*

I love how Kresley doesn't hold back with the sex talk in her books, although it's a YA book, she doesn't try to sugar coat things. It makes me enjoy this series even more. 

Now the love triangle, I know what your thinking, another love triangle....no!! However, hear me when I say, Endless Knight is a the perfect example of a love triangle done well. It did break my heart in parts because of the situations the characters found themselves in, but introducing Death's character, more in the sequel was done very well. The characters journeys are important and put together very cleverly that at no point did it feel forced or feel like a filler. It felt pretty real and I'm actually ashamed to admit that I even thought about switching team's from Jack to Death. No, I know, but it honestly can't be helped. In the end though, I'm a firm believer of true love and I believe that Jack will come out on top. ;)

The cliff-hanger was done so well and it was certainly something I wasn't prepared for. I thought the one to Poison Princess was bad, this is even worse. Prepare yourselves! But not only does the characters, the love triangle and the awesome cliff-hanger make this such a good book, it's the action packed scenes from the start, that leave you constantly gripped all the way through. There's definitely not a dull moment within this cracking sequel!

In all, Endless Knight is a sequel that certainly won't not disappoint you. It's such an emotional roller coaster that will really pull of your heart and really is a very entertaining read. Well done Kresley Cole! 

3 comments:

Danny Bookworm said...

I am right in the middle (or 2/3) of it and gosh I know what you mean about Death. He is such a complex character and I begin to like him more and more and I especially feel so sorry for him! He's so alone and I wish he would find love and redemption.


I'm dreading the cliffhanger. OoOOoOO


And.. yeah I LOVE how open Kresley Cole deals with the sexual tension and the hot scenes, so refreshing in YA!!

Monkeys Lizzy A said...

Thank you for sharing I've been dying to read this book for so long I love the quotes you posted

amy said...

i hope eric wins evies heart in the end :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis