Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2013

A Review for All our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1) by Cristin Terrill

17451105Posted by Donna 
Release Date: September 3rd, 2013
Finished Date: August 31st, 2013
Publishers: Bloomsbury
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 362
A brilliantly brain-warping thriller and a love story that leaps back and forth in time - All Our Yesterdays is an amazing first novel, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games.

Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet. 

Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.

The Review: This is going to be a hard review to write because All Our Yesterdays in all is an enjoyable read, but unlike most of you, it didn't blow me away.  I liked the plot. I liked the pacing. I liked the characters. I liked the romance. I can't actually pin point why I didn't enjoy this more, other than the fact that it didn't  have much of a wow factor. Maybe it's the whole time travel thing because I'm not a huge fan of it. 

The start of the story starts off intriguing and pretty intense. I really enjoyed how the story went from past to present – with the present definitely being my favourite. I liked Em and Finn, I felt more connected to their story rather than Marina’s. Em and Finn go through a hell of a lot, and a lot of it is at the hands of the doctor. It’s pretty clear who the doctor is after a few chapters but it was still enjoyable to see the characters reactions to that revelation. I felt for Em and Finn a lot - the person they loved most is doing unbelievable things and the only way they can stop him is by going back in time and trying to change things. It was a little heart-breaking to see them trying to carry out their plan – letting go of all their hope, it was a sad moment. Marina was a little bit harder to like just because she was very naïve. She was blinded completely by her love for James and it literally consumed her. I think this is why I enjoyed Em’s story more – she was more grown up and more realistic than Marina. 

I was hoping for a little bit more at the end. I just flat a little flat and there was nothing gripping me. Since finishing the book, I've heard there's more to come in this series and right now, I'm not sure I'll be reading it. 

Even though All Our Yesterdays wasn’t as good as I was hoping it would be, I’m still glad I read it because was an okay read. It just comes down to personal preference and unfortunately I’m yet to find that time travel book that completely amazes me.  

1 comment:

Natalie Cleary said...

I have this on my wishlist but in a way I'm hesitant to get it because I'm not sure if its something I'll like. Great review :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis