Pages

Tuesday 6 December 2011

A Review for My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers #3) by Rachel Vincent


Posted by Donna
Published Date: April 15th, 2011
Finished Date: November 29th, 2011
Publishers: Mira Ink
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 348
< 
The Blurb from Goodreads: Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. Until something does. Demon's breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow, the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked. And when the epidemic hits too close to home, Kaylee will have to risk everything to save those she loves.
< 
The Review: Wow, what a ride My Soul to Keep was. After reading My Soul to Save I was a little bit disappointed that is wasn't as good book one but Rachel Vincent is definitely back.

In this instalment we see Kaylee go through a whole new challenge. When her friends at school get a hold of the deadly Demon's Breath, they soon start becoming addicts and of course Kaylee takes it upon herself to try and sort out the problem. With the help of Nash and Tod, Kaylee battles through the Neverworld yet again but when she finds out the person closet to her is also an addict.....Kaylee's world is turned upside down and now it becomes a battle to save the one she loves most.

My Soul to Keep was a perfect example of why I enjoy Rachel Vincent’s work. It was thrilling, dangerous and FULL of emotions and I loved every minute it. It's safe to say I definitely felt more connected with this novel than book two. I feel the reason for this is because this time around, the danger is surrounding Kaylee’s close friends and loved ones rather than someone we didn't really know and I loved it all the more.

Kaylee this time around, I felt grew as a character and she truly stands up for what she believes in. It is sad to say that this time, her journey is a sad one because she is trying to save Nash who is addicted to Demon's Breath and that opens up a can of worms for their relationship. Kaylee feels betrayed because Nash doesn't confide in her about his problem and there are things that she just can't get over, so they do break up. I can totally understand why she feels like this but I couldn't help feel sorry for Nash. It's not his fault he was exposed to Demon's Breath, it was just his fault he hid it and lied about it. My heart honestly broke for him, I love Nash...honestly love him and I seriously hope he gets back to his normal self and him and Kaylee work on their problems.

Despite all the sadness in this book, it was good to see Tod interact more with Kaylee. I've already heard of a potential storyline that might happen between them and I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment but for now, I did enjoy getting to know him better and I loved how he supported Kaylee. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Thank You to Mira Ink for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

3 comments:

Aravis said...

There's a prequel novella, "Reaper," that Vincent recommends that you read at this point, if you're going to read it. Unfortunately it's only available as an ebook and isn't lendable, or I'd send it to you. But because it's a novella it's really cheap. It's back story on Tod and Nash, and reveals some pretty important things that provide greater insight into their relationship, and especially into who Tod really is as a person.

If you don't want to buy it but want to know about it, email me and I'll tell you more. It isn't a crucial read, but I'm so glad that I did! It also gets referenced in book #5. :0)

As for My Soul to Keep, this one made me sad and angry. I'm familiar with addiction and am so sad for Nash. On the other hand, the things he said and did to Kaylee infuriated me. I think she did the right thing for herself, as hard as it was. I can't say more... don't want to spoil the next book for you!

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!!
I really respect Kaylee for her decisions! I didn't expect her to take the hard road one bit!

WOW is a pretty good word for this one!
Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Book Passion for Life said...

I'll check out the prequel, thanks Aravis!!! :)

And Krazzyme, I totally respect Kaylee too but I love Nash so I'm sad for him. lol

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis