Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2011

A review for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin

Posted by Jess
Published Date: September 27th, 2011
Finished Date: December 27th, 2011
Source: For Review from Simon and Schuster
Format: Paperback
Pages: 452



The blurb from Goodreads: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.


It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

The Review: Noah stood slowly, his body skimming mine as he rose. "Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever." Noah's eyes held mine. His stare was infinite. "I was made for you, Mara."

Whoa! This book was too amazing. I've wanted to read this book for so long. I'd only heard good things and it didn't disappoint. It pretty much lived up to the hype I had. 

I'm not going to talk about the book, becuase this is a book best to be read when you know nothing about it. Let me just say that it was full of suspense, love, humor, and mystery. It had me on edge the whole time, and other than over the Christmas weekend, I really just couldn't put this book down one bit! It' s adarkly twisted read that will leave you wanting more after each chapter.

Our protagonist Mara is a wonderful heroine, she's very strong and deals with all her issues in her stride, makes her own choices, sometimes the wrong ones, sometimes the right ones. Noah, ah Noah. A lot of reviewers have called him a jerk, or called him a stalker...he isn't any of those things. He's completely swoon worthy and wonderful in his own right, his and Mara's relationship is intriguing and quite fragile, both of them bounce off of one another but contest each others choices and coincidentally won't leave each others side. I can't say much more about them together as it'll spoil the book. Like I said at the beginning, this book is best read when you know nothing of it.

Well there isn't a lot more I can say. The ending to this book was incredible. Such a cliffhanger that will leave you gasping and wanting the next book straight away! The next book will reveal so much, and possibly put Mara and Noah's already fragile relationship to the test. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series. I can't wait to see what happens!! Read it everyone, it's immense.



5 comments:

tthepageturner said...

You know I still have yet to read this! I know *gasp*! 'Suspense, love, humor, and mystery' what a brilliant combination - really need to put this at the top of my tr pile!

Awesome review. ^_^

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Used my B&N gift card to grab this..it has been on my wishlist forever!

Aravis said...

Agreed- this book was amazing! And that ending... wow! I'm the sort of person who can figure everything out pretty early on. It drives my husband nuts when we watch murder mysteries on t.v. *G* But I never saw the end of Mara Dyer coming! I hate every moment that I have to wait for the next book to come out.

Bex said...

So glad you liked it, Jess! And I totally agree about the ending! Total torture to wait for the sequel now. o.o Great review!

Alyssa_Susanna said...

*Sniffles*
This book is sooo good. I'm so confused on many things after the book finished, but I feel like readers are supposed to be a little confused, and that things will be cleared up in the next books. I can believe it's a trilogy! I know Michelle Hodkin knows what she is doing, but I don't really see how this is going to go on for two more books. NOT that it's a bad idea/series, but the first book and the addition of a second book might've been enough? I don't know. All I DO know is that I can't wait for The Evolution of Mara Dyer!!!!!

Alyssa Susanna <3

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis