Pages

Tuesday 20 December 2011

A Review for I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore


Posted by Jess
Published Date: 3rd August, 2010
Finished Date: 18th December, 2011
Source: RAK
Format: Paperback
Pages: 448

The Blurb from Goodreads: Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.
Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

The Review: I'm not one for Sci-fi alien books. I had a hard time reading one called POD, and thought I'd stop at that. But then I was RAK'ed I Am Number Four by our friend Misty. I'd wanted to read it because of the hype, and then the movie came out with Alex Pettyfer and because I'm quite partial to him as a person (obvious reasons lol), it made me want to read the book even more before finally watching the movie. So I started the book, and I really enjoyed it. I was hooked from page 1 and pretty much couldn't put it down. The writing is incredible and the characters and world building is one that will leave you with pictures in your head (if you don't already have the movie in your head). Sadly, because I already knew Alex Pettyfer was to play John Smith, I pictured him through out the entire time I read the book. And that's totally fine with me, but it was still a little weird when I found out that the book John was actually only 15, Alex Pettyfer for intense and purposes doesn't look 15...any more. Anyway, I'm not here to talk about the differences between the book and the movie (even though there was  a lot).

I pretty much loved every minute of this book. I found John an easy character to like and it was refreshing to finally read a book from a male narrative rather than a 'sometimes' whiny female narrative. I loved all the powers that came to John, his lights, his fire resistance, and his telekinesis. The training scenes with he and Henri were especially fun to read about. 

I'm not going to talk much about the book because the less you know, the better it will be when everything comes into play on the page. But pretty much this book is always full of action, full of romance, full of funny moments, full of a total douche bag named Mark James (who by the way redeems himself in the end). Anyway there's always something going on on the page and its full of mystery and thrills.

I don't have a lot of cons about this book, except one. Towards the end so much happens in a long space of time, that it made the book seem a little long and a little blahh. I got a little fed up towards the end (during the epic battle I might add), I think I was just ready to have everything come together after going through so much in the book. Other than a serious amount of action and information in the end there isn't anything remotely bad about this book.

Read it, enjoy it, love it.


3 comments:

Tipsy Misty said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it :)

Giselle said...

I enjoyed this one too and also not a fan of sci-fi alien books. Glad you liked it! Great review!


Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

ahh I need to read this one so bad!!!! Great review Jess!(:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis