Pages

Saturday 3 December 2011

A Review for Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

Posted by Jess
Published Date: November 22nd, 2011
Finished Date: December 2nd, 2011
Publishers: Omniphic Publishing
Source: For Review
Format: E-book
Pages: Unkown


The blurb from Goodreads: He counts her smiles every day and night at the train station. And morning and evening, the beautiful commuter acknowledges him—just like she does everyone else on the platform. But Blake Hartt is not like the others . . . he’s homeless. Memories of a broken childhood have robbed him of peace and twisted delusions into his soul. He stays secluded from the sun, sure the world would run from him in the harsh light of day. 

Each day, Livia McHugh smiles politely and acknowledges her fellow commuters as she waits for the train to the city. She dismisses this kindness as nothing special, just like her. She’s the same as a million other girls—certainly no one to be cherished. But special or not, she smiles every day, never imagining that someone would rely on the simple gesture as if it were air to breathe. 

When the moment comes that Livia must do more than smile, without hesitation she steps into the fray to defend the homeless man. And she's surprised to discover an inexplicable connection with her new friend. After danger subsides, their smiles become conversation. Their words usher in a friendship, which awakens something in each of them. But it’s not long before their bond must prove its strength. Entanglements from the past challenge both their love and their lives. 
Blake’s heart beats for Livia’s, even if her hands have to keep its rhythm. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. Love never fails, right? 


The review: You know I'm not even sure what to write. What I do know, is that I love Debra, and I love her writing. I was so excited when Debra sent me a copy of Poughkeepsie so that I wouldn't miss out on the chance of reading it. I'm so glad she did, because I loved it. I loved every minute of this book. I was on a pretty emotional roller coaster during. 

I loved the whole concept of this story. A seemingly normal girl, Livia, befriends a known homeless man who counts her smiles everyday. What starts as a friendship (and not a charity case), slowly leads into a love more powerful than anything in the book itself. I loved every interaction between Blake and Livia. Blake, although homeless, is handsome, charming, and smart in his own right. Livia is insanely kick-ass and you see this through out the entire novel. From the moment she helps save Blake from a group of teenagers, to the moment to tries to save Blake's life in the woods. She remains strong, she remains true to the love she has for Blake, and ultimately she brings Blake back to life where he can finally accept who he is, and that he can be a good person.

Every character in this book jumps out at you from the page. Beckett, Blake's foster brother is a mobster with a heart. Seriously it may be slightly evil in places but he cares more about Blake and his future than he cares about himself, and I loved that. I loved seeing Beckett be himself, but still be a older brother to BOTH of his brothers. Cole, who is training to be a priest, is wonderful. I don't have much to say about him in all honesty. You'll have to read it because he jumps off the page with all his wisdom and knowledge, and a little bit of riddles. I finished the book last night, and this morning I'm still thinking about Blake, Cole and Beckett, that's how intensely powerful these three boys. This is the kind of effect they have on you when reading. And that the fact they are all absolutely frickin' gorgeous has nothing to do with it...I don't think =/ maybe...

I don't think there is anything that I disliked about this book. Like some of the other bloggers, Debra and I get on really well, and if you've spoken to her or followed her blog posts like I do, then you'll know the type of personality she has. And her ENTIRE personality just shines through in this book. From being funny, to being kick ass, to being sexy (seriously sexy). Everything Debra is, is in this book and that's what makes it a great read. I couldn't get enough. I wanted to be there experiencing everything Livia, her sister Kyle, Blake, Cole, Beckett and Eve go through, I wanted to be there to comfort them, love them, and just be there. 

Anyway, I am totally rambling on and this review probably makes no sense what so ever. But I'm telling you Debra Anastasia has become one of my favourite indie authors of 2011, and I'm know that whatever else she releases in the New Year, will be just as good, just as funny and just as sexy as Crushed Seraphim and Poughkeepsie. 

I highly suggest you pick this book up. I will only recommend this to older YA from 17+ due to scenes of intense violence and some pretty steamy sex scenes from all three brothers. But definitely, definitely read this!! Go, little readers, Go! 


3 comments:

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

ooooooo adding to tbr! Thanks Jess, great review!! (:

Debra Anastasia said...

I <3 you.

Anonymous said...

I just bought this book this week. It sounds really good. Glad you enjoyed it :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis