Pages

Wednesday 21 September 2016

{Review} Die for Me (The Revenants #1) by Amy Plum

9742373Posted by Donna
Release Date: May 10th, 2011
Finished Date: June 3rd, 2016
Publishers: HarperCollins
Genre: YA, Paranormal 
Source: Bought 
Format: eBook 
Pages: 357
Buy: Amazon UK Amazon US / The Book Depo 
 
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier’s parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life—and memories—behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate’s guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he’s a revenant—an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.

The Review: I decided a few months ago that I was going to try and complete of some the series that I’ve never finished, so Die for Me was top on my list because I really loved the first two books in the series when I read back when they released, so I started from the beginning again and it was definitely a good choice.

Die for Me story follows Kate and her sister moving to Paris to live with their grandparents after the death of their parents. While her sister Georgia has no problem making new friends, Kate is the opposite. She’s still struggling with her parent’s deaths and completely shuts out the world. Her days consist of reading in a cafe until one day she meets Vincent – an attractive 19 year old who doesn't appear to be as he seems. Not only does Kate fall head over heels for Vincent but as she gets to know him, she knows he's hiding a deadly secret and it’s one she intends to find out regardless of the consequences.

I really enjoyed Die for Me the first time reading it and I definitely enjoyed it all the more the second time around. It still surprises me how much information I forgot so doing the re-read was definitely worth it. I did feel that the story started off a little slow but once I read more it started picking up. I have to say I’m really not a huge fan of ghost stories but while the Revenants aren’t exactly ghosts they are the undead so ghosts is probably the best way to describe them. I have read a few books before on the ghosts but I never really enjoyed them. They’re always just okay. But Die for Me however couldn't help but love it as it was a completely new take and Amy Plum made this story her own and I truly loved the concept it. I also loved the French influence that Amy Plum brought to the story. I loved reading about Paris and what it has to offer. I could easily imagine myself standing in the middle of Paris on a cold day looking at all the famous landmarks.

What also made this book for me was the characters. I loved every single character and the humour that they all brought to the story. The boys were all completely swoon worthy and Kate was really likeable too. Although Kate and Vincent’s romance is a bit of on insta-love I could put that to one side because I was enjoying the story so much.

Overall, I think Amy Plum has done a fantastic job of introducing something fresh and new to the supernatural book world and I’d definitely recommend you read it.

This is an update version of my first review which you can read here.

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis