Pages

Saturday 27 October 2012

A Review for The Dark Glamour (666 Park Avenue #2) by Gabriella Pierce

The Dark Glamour (666 Park Avenue, #2)
Posted by Guest Reviewer Melanie
Release Date: October 18th,2012
Finished Date: October 12th, 2012
Publishers: Canvas
Source: For Review 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 284
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

Welcome to New York City, where the socialites are witches.

Jane Boyle thought she'd met the man of her dreams. But it's hard to live happily ever after when you realise your new mother-in-law is literally a witch, determined to steal the magical powers you didn't even know you had. When Jane discovers that the man she fell in love with is a mere pawn in her mother-in-laws cunning plan, she flees. Now Jane is alone and on the run, hiding out in Manhattan.

But Jane can't hide forever... One magical Park Avenue makeover later and Jane is ready to settle the score with her witch of a mother-in-law. In her new guise as Ella the Brazilian beauty, Jane meets the devilishly handsome André. The magical blood that teems through her veins draws her inexplicably towards this mysterious man. But is André all he seems? And can Jane make it into the witches' den to overthrow the most evil of witches?

The Review: Following the revelations of book one, Jane’s world comes crashing down around her – newly-wed with no husband after finding out his most darkest secret, on the run from a psychotic mother in law and her family coven intent on using her as a brood mare to keep the family’s powerful heritage going, running scared with no place to go and terrified that involving her friends will be certain death for them - but does this bring Jane to her knees? Well it did…. But then she got tough and started to be pro-active in her quest to get the Doran clan off her back once and for all.

Jane and Malcolm are considered missing, there is a huge media circus surrounding their disappearance and the rumour mills are going wild, all orchestrated by the furious Doran matriarch. Whilst Malcolm leaves town, Jane stays in plain sight, never leaving Manhattan but she can only push her luck so far and with her funds dwindling and unable to get a job for fear of being spotted she is stuck. Fortunately Malcolm has left her a lifeline in the form of a safety deposit box fill with cash and a blue box….. and it’s that blue box’s contents and a misplaced spell that brings some startling information Janes way. This information is huge and it might just be the ticket she needs to get the Doran’s off her & Malcolms’ back, but she needs more information and in order to do so, she must infiltrate the Dorans’ home. Armed with a magical disguise, she is transformed into the beautiful Ella and sets her plan into action and finds and ‘in’ through the gorgeous Andre….. but not all is as it seems, for Jane isn’t the only one keeping secrets and Janes actions are about to have some huge repercussions.

So, I really liked this, especially when 44 pages in we a treat to a massive reveal – one I was hoping for but didn’t think we would get so early in the series – and this reveal became the main focus of the book so I’m afraid I can’t really say much without spoiling it. The storyline starts a few weeks after the ending of book one and flowed really well. The story itself is filled with magic, elaborate plots & schemes, dramatic twists and turns and even some sexy-time that comes together into a very revealing climax that definitely leaves you wanting more. I liked what happened, it addressed a few things I was curious about but also opens up a lot more questions. As I said in book ones review – I wasn’t really into the socialite aspect - but that seems to have been really toned down in this and focussed more on the events which made me enjoy it a lot more so I liked the whole set up this time and really enjoyed where it went and the direction it seems to be going in. I thought Jane had definitely become hardened in this, ruthless even, turning from a sweet young lady into someone willing to do anything to achieve her goal and I thought the turn-around was slightly out of character because she is like that in one respect and in another she is still willing to do anything for Malcolm even though his betrayal – in my eyes- was unforgivable, and I’m not quite ‘getting’ that. I did really enjoy the schemes she came up with - even if they were misguided – but wasn’t impressed with the love interest situation because I don’t feel like her relationship with Malcolm is concluded properly and I’m not keen on the Harris situation either but I can appreciate that it will create more drama for the future. TBH, this does read like a TV show because it’s very entertaining and moreish… I feel like I’ve just finished one series and am now left waiting for the next.
 

5 comments:

Erin W. said...

Love the cover and yet I haven't heard of this book before. But hot damn . . . I must get a copy of it soon. Sounds like an awesome read. Will pretty much read anything with powers and witches in them. Great review!

Sam S. said...

The cover looks so cool and I think I will have to check this one out.

emaginette said...

You know what THEY say, 'Leave them wanting more.' :-)

Gaby said...

I really enjoyed the last one...this one seems so much slower
though. I'm only 40% done and it's taken me 2 days to get there.

Melanie Hall said...

<--Guest reviewer
It's not a book that find myself eager to read but once i'm reading, I can't put it down & it flies by and then I find I'm done lol

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis