Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

A Review for The Dark Heroine: Dinner with a Vampire by Abigail Gibbs

Dinner With a Vampire
Posted by Donna
Release Date: October 11th, 2012
Finished Date: October 11th, 2012
Publishers: Harper Voyager 
Source: For Review 
Format: Paperback  
Pages: 549
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

The sexiest romance you’ll read this year…

One moment can change your life forever…

For Violet Lee, a chance encounter on a darkened street draws her into a world beyond her wildest imaginings, a timeless place of vast elegance and immeasurable wealth – of beautiful mansions and lavish parties – where a decadent group of friends live for pleasure alone. A place from which there is no escape… no matter how hard Violet tries.

Yet all the riches in the world can’t mask the darkness that lies beneath the gilded surface, embodied in the charismatic but dangerous Kaspar Varn.

Violet and Kaspar surrender to a passion that transcends their separate worlds – but it’s a passion that comes at a price…

The Review: He sighed, his hands tangling themselves in my already-knotted hair. “Violet, don’t ever leave me. Whatever happens; however things get, just don’t go. Please.” 

4.5 stars! 
.
The Dark Heroine is an absolutely fantastic debut novel by author Abigail Gibbs. I had no idea that this author was only 15-years-old when she wrote this novel, and wow, does she have a talent because this one exciting page turner. 

Violet Lee is a seventeen-year-old who is trying to get over her failed relationship with her ex-boyfriend. While out clubbing one night, Violet witness’s a horrific murder but it’s no ordinary murder, the people killed were murdered by – vampires. Violet’s world is turned upside from this discovery because a vampire called Kaspar, takes Violet as his prisoner and brings her home to his family. While there Violet finds herself trying to fight her attraction to Kaspar Varn – even though she despises everything he is. Not only that, but she starts suffering from weird dreams – one’s she knows are real. But how can dreams be real? Soon she finds out her life is being played out by fate and Kaspar is just as much as a part of it as her. 

I loved this book, absolutely loved it and author Abigail Gibbs really managed to suck me all the way through. At night time, I had to force myself to go to bed because otherwise I would have stayed up all night reading and that is not good – especially when I have to work the next day. 

I fell in love with everything about this novel, the characters, the setting, the romance, the danger – everything. The Dark Heroine really does have a little bit of everything for everyone. It’s is full of suspense and exciting twists and turns, it’s full of intense and engaging scenes and the story really does manage to capture your heart and make you fall in love with it. 

Violet really is a great protagonist. She’s fun and feisty and even when she’s in trouble or even when she's sad, she tries to stand up for herself. She even puts herself in Kasper’s firing line by pulling a few pranks on him, now this may not seem bad, but if you’ve read this book then you will know that Kasper is not one to mess around with. He’s scary! I loved how she was willing to stand up to him because it made the story so much fun. Even though Kasper is scary and of course bad, there is a good side to him and that good side is really, really good. I loved sweet, loving, caring Kasper. I loved how he was with Violet even though there were so many problems in their way. I’m dying to see what comes next for them because they have some tough times ahead. 

I really struggled between rating this book a 4.5 rating and a 5, but I finally settled on 4.5 because even though I loved it, I still felt there was more room at the end of the story, that the author could have took. I guess I just wanted more of Violet and Kasper’s story because where it ended was a very important scene - I felt like there should of been a little bit more. Now I’m not sure how much more details we’ll get about Violet and Kasper because the next book; Autumn Rose is about another character but I’m praying we will see something from Violet and Kasper.

Overall, The Dark Heroine is a dark and dangerous tale – one that is highly enjoyable and loveable and I will be keeping an eye out for more work by this author.

Many thanks to Harper Voyager who gave me the opportunity to review this book. 

8 comments:

Carly @ Fiction Fascination said...

Fabulous review Donna! I am so glad that you loved this so much as I'm dying to get my paws on it! I love the sound of everything about it! :)

Mel @thedailyprophecy said...

Your review made me add this book to Goodreads. Violet sounds like a great character, exactly the kind of girl I love to read about :) I like the idea of pulling some pranks on a dangerous, scary vampire, haha. Great review!

Siobhan @ Totally Bookalicious said...

This is my fave read of 2012 so far. Can't wait for book2!!!

Fab review.

Natalie Allan said...

This sounds fantastic! I'm adding this to my 'to read' list right now!

Angeline Kace said...

Awesome review, Donna! I went to go buy it on Amazon (yes, based on your review alone!), and it's only $1.99!!! Can't wait to get started with this one!

Deea said...

I've noticed people being skeptical about this book because of all the author's age thingie. But wow, that's awesome that's she's so young and still so talented! I've been on the fence about picking it up, but now I'm definitely curious to read Violet and Kasper's story. Great review!:)

Christina Kit. said...

This sounds so awesome! With interesting lore and characters:) The author must be very talented!

Lea said...

Great review. haven`t read any of her books yet, but I`m adding this one to my TBR!!

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis