Pages

Thursday 21 November 2013

A Review for Unteachable by Leah Reader

17978680Posted by Jess
Release Date: July 27th, 2013
Finished Date: September 28th, 2013
Publishers: Velvet Pony Press
Genre: New Adult Romance
Source:  Bought
Format: eBook
Pages: 356
This novel contains graphic sexual content and strong language. It is intended for mature readers. 

I met him at a carnival, of all corny places. The summer I turned eighteen, in that chaos of neon lights and cheap thrills, I met a man so sweet, so beautiful, he seemed to come from another world. We had one night: intense, scary, real. Then I ran, like I always do. Because I didn’t want to be abandoned again.

But I couldn’t run far enough.

I knew him as Evan that night. When I walked into his classroom, he became Mr. Wilke.

My teacher.

I don’t know if what we’re doing is wrong. The rules say one thing; my heart says screw the rules. I can’t let him lose his job. And I can’t lose him.

In the movies, this would have a happy ending. I grow up. I love, I lose, I learn. And I move on. But this is life, and there’s no script. You make it up as you go along.

And you don’t pray for a happy ending. You pray for it to never end.

The Review: "...You should love something while you have it, love it fully and without reservation, even if you know you'll lose it someday. We lose everything. If you're trying to avoid loss, there's no point in taking another breath, or letting your heart beat one more time. It all ends." His fingers curl around mine. "That's all life is. Breathing in, breathing out. The space between two breaths.”  

I enjoy New Adult books. I can read them over and over, and although some are pretty much the same, I still enjoy them. I especially enjoyed unteachable, I've always liked forbidden romances, and this one was a very good one.

I was hooked from the beginning, and what a beginning it was. From the moment I started I couldn't put it down. This was just a very well written story. Unteachable is full of lust, romance, forbidden and unrequited  it's got betrayal, trust, friendship and loyalty, pretty much every sort of ingredient a good NA book should have. 

I really liked Maise, she isn't the typical innocent 18 year old that you sometimes come to meet in a NA book, she's a bit of a rebel, sticks up for herself, and although she lacks some self respect (based on her past sex life), she still manages to be a likable character,but there is enough back story to her past that explains the way she is in the book. When her and Evan (Mr Wilke) are on the page together, you get the intensity and the obsession they both have with each other in their relationship. Their relationship is naturally a complicated one, but it's a powerful one, and although they try their hardest to stop it, they always come back to each other in some way. 

The entire story is handled really well with regards to the forbidden student/teacher romance, this is truly a captivating story, with the romance and the illicit affair that Maize and Evan embark on. It'll just leave you wanting more and more. 

The ending, although I wouldn't call it happy, it's sort of bittersweet and it leaves you wondering, huh, ok then. To me it felt a little open and like their story wasn't yet finished, and I'd be happy with a sequel BUT I'll also be happy to leave it how it was, because to me, although it did seem open and bittersweet I think you can definitely take it as a happy ending, and you can just sit their and ponder after you've closed the book. You can think it over. 

This was most definitely one of my favourite reads of 2013 so far, and I would happily re-read it, and I most definitely look forward to more from Leah Reader, because she most definitely has things to say, and the woman can definitely write a story. 

So, if you haven't read Unteachable yet, then I most definitely suggest that you go out there and read it, I guarantee you won't regret it.

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis