Pages

Monday 4 July 2011

A Review for Volition by Shawn Kirsten Maravel

Posted by Donna
Published Date: February 26th, 2011
Finished Date: June 30th, 2011
Source: To Review from Author
Format: PDF
Pages: 294
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Charlotte Rush would be the first to admit that her life is no rollercoaster ride. Her days are laced with ordinary and at times boring monotony. But with a heart that finds itself frequently broken she's happy to say that she's content. When her friends convince her to spend the night out at a club to let loose and maybe even find a guy, she finally admits that her life might be missing something. No sooner does she let go of her inhibitions does she find herself waking up in a dark hotel room in the presence of Joel, a man who carries mystery in his eyes and familiarity in his smile. Against reason Charlotte decides to trust him based solely on one thing. Somehow, she is sure that she knows him. 

In a race against time to find answers and to solve the crime committed against her Charlotte finds herself falling for him. However, with nothing but mystery surrounding him she can't even be sure that he's the hero at all. While knowing all of the right things to say he still manages to tell her nothing. As a battle is waged over the innocence of her cryptic stranger, Charlotte discovers that much greater danger awaits her. And the mysteries behind who and what Joel is will lead Charlotte to discover that heaven and earth are not so far apart.


The Review:
<
"The longer I looked into his eyes the more I felt that he was leading me down a road that I was determined not to follow." 

***Possible Spoilers! *** 

3.5 Rating - I’d wanted to read this book for a while after seeing a few good reviews around so I was more than thrilled to receive it for review and I’m glad it didn’t disappoint. 

This story follows Charlotte Rush, a college student who lives with her two best friends and doesn’t trust men. On a night out, Charlotte is drugged in a night club but she is rescued by a mysterious stranger named Joel. As Charlotte tries to get to know Joel better, she soon realises that he’s hiding many secrets from her, secrets that are highly dangerous. But for Charlotte, even though she doesn’t have all the answers about Joel, she can’t stop herself falling for him. 

Volition is a captivating and mysterious story and when I say mysterious I mean it, lol. When I started reading this book, all I knew about it was what I’d read on Goodreads. If you take a look at it, it’s a big blurb but it doesn’t really give you any indication as to what the story is actually about. Well…….let me tell you this…..it’s about Angels. Yep, I said it….Angels! I didn’t even think this book was supernatural so I was more than a little shocked to find out it was. Nonetheless, Shawn Maraval has written an interesting, exciting and lovable story, one that is full of suspense, mystery and totally compelling. 

The story starts off quiet slowly but although it’s slow, I felt it’s was at a good pace in order to get to know the characters. Charlotte is a well -developed character who is totally lovable and Joel…..well, let’s just say he’s wow! Straight away you can feel the undeniable attraction between the two and the suspense of their relationship is amazing, it will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. 

The story itself was really interesting; I felt it slightly slowed down in the middle but only to pick straight back up again towards the end. I enjoyed the other added story lines with Charlotte’s parents and her battle the night club owner. But it’s that cliff-hanger at the end…. It’s definitely one that will leave you shocked. 

Overall, as a reader you can tell a lot of hard work has gone into this story and I for one think Shawn deserves a round of applause. So if you’re looking for something new and fresh to read this summer, this is the book for you. 

1 comment:

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

Great review Donna!!! I just read Severance a few days ago...it was so good..like I loveddd it haha much faster pace, and alot going on (:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis