Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

A Review for The Color of Grace by Linda Kage

The Color of Grace
Posted by Donna
Release Date: 1st September 2012
Finished Date: October 14th, 2012
Publishers:Whiskey Creek Press
Source: For Review 
Format: Kindle 
Pages: 333
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US 

Meet sixteen-year-old Grace Indigo:

Hey. When my mother remarried after thirteen years of being a widow, I had to move to a new town and enroll in a new school. Suddenly thrust into an entirely different kind of life, I just wanted to go home. I didn’t want to meet new people, didn’t want to leave my old friends, didn’t want to become a third wheel to my mom and her husband...and I really didn’t want to see Ryder Yates again. Ugh, I still don’t know why I turned down that too-good-to-be-true boy who flirted with me when we were attending separate schools.

But honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It was worse.

Who knew becoming lost in a new life could help a girl find her true colors?

The Review: "I'm never one, distinct color but a dichotomy of dark and bright. The hues follow me, reflecting my mood, displaying every tone and shade I feel. I can breathe in red and exhale blue, or swim in green and dry as a rainbow. It all depends on how I choose to react to every shadow and light beam headed my way."

I hadn't heard of this book until the author asked me to review it and I really did jumped at the chance to read it because I never have enough contemporary romances books for review. The Color of Grace is a sweet, heart-warming and emotional read, one that had the perfect mix of love and hope and really made it a very enjoyable to read about. 

I really liked The Color of Grace, it's a story about a girl, attending a new school where she becomes slightly popular - which is different from her last school, because she was classed as a nerd there. She's also experiencing dating for the first time in her life - which is a little scary for her and not only that she's having family issues with her mother and new step-dad. So yeah, there's a lot going on in the book but everything works and clicks together perfectly. 

Grace is a sweet young girl who has a great personality. It was easy to connect with her so when she cried, I cried, when she laughed, I laughed and it was an interesting feeling to go through the motions with her. She comes across quite shy but she's more than happy to stand up to Ryder when she thinks he's in the wrong. I really liked Ryder - definitely book boyfriend material. He stands out from everyone else, he's not like his jerky friends and really does have a good heart. I really love the relationship between him and Grace, even though it has its up's and down, it was really sweet to read it all coming together. Some of the secondary characters were great too, like Grace's friends but there are some horrible ones. My main problem was with Grace's mum, she was mean and just never believed anything Grace said. It was pretty clear to see she was being manipulated though so I guess that explains her behaviour. 

Overall, The Color of Grace was my first book by author Linda Kage and it will not be my last. I'm hoping this author writes more YA Contemporary because I will definitely read it. 

Thank you to Linda Kage for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

2 comments:

Sam @ Realm of Fiction said...

From that opening quote, I think I'd really like the writing in this book. I hadn't heard of it before! Great review, Donna. :)

Christina Kit. said...

LOVE that first line! It sounds like a wonderful issue contemp

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis