Pages

Tuesday 21 July 2015

{Review} Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin #3) by Robin LaFevers

22509751Posted by Donna
Release Date: November 14th, 2014
Finished Date: July 19th, 2015
Publishers: HMH Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Kindle
Pages: 464
Buy: Amazon UK Amazon US / The Book Depo

Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. 
But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. 

Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.

She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has. 

The Review: This book….this book is amazing! I’m so glad I decided to carry on with this series because then I would have missed out on the beauty that is Mortal Heart and, it has an amazing conclusion to this fantastic series. 

Annith is a daughter of St Mortain and has been at the convent ever since she was a baby. She has trained and excelled in every task and test that she has been given but, for some reason, she has had to watch her sisters go out on assignments to carry out St Mortain work and she still remains at the convent. When Annith discovers that the abbess has plans for her to become the convent’s next seeress, Annith does everything in her power to change the plans and leaves the convent to confront the abbess about the secrets she that is hiding. And as Annith embarks on her journey she discovers more than she originally thought she would…

Wow! I’ll be honest right now when I say I totally did not expect the amaziness that came from this book. I adored both of the other books in the series and while Grave Mercy was my favourite out of the two, I wasn’t expecting Mortal Heart to be better but it was. It really was! 

Annith’s story captured me from the very first page. I’ve always liked her from her times I’ve seen her in the other stories so, I’ve always been interested to see her own story and it was such a good story. Annith is such a strong character whom has gone through so much from such a young age. This makes her the person she is today. She’s stronger and braver for it. She has such a strong will and she’s determined to the right thing, even if that means being torn by her beliefs. Her dedication to Mortain is just as strong as her other sisters and I loved how much she relied on his strengths to guide her. 

While Annith’s story isn’t as action packed as the previous stories, it does offer a very a satisfying conclusion and where we see all of the other stories tied up nicely. More importantly it brings in new characters that were impossible not to love. Balthazaar is definitely one of them. Aw, why wasn’t he in this series more? I feel cheated. There simply wasn’t enough time with him. But he really made this story. He and Annith were such a great match and the romance between was a slow burning one. And there were times throughout this book where my jaw literally hit the table. I wasn’t expecting some of the events that happened but the main secret – which I’m keep quiet about because otherwise it will spoil it for you – it’s simply stunning. It’s such a good twist and I can only applaud LaFevers for it! Bravo. 

In all, Mortal Heart is easily my favourite out of this trilogy and it’s safe to say that LaFevers definitely saves the best until last. I’m only disappointed that there isn’t more to come. I’m sad to leave these characters goodbye! 

2 comments:

Cindy Mai said...

Wow! I have the but just haven't read it yet because Grave Mercy's still my favorite and I don't really know what to think of Annith. Now I know I must read it. :D Lovely review.

And saying goodbye to the characters is pretty devastating when you love them so much.

Carina Olsen said...

Yesss. I'm so glad you loved this one :D I did too. Sigh. It was amazing. <3 Gorgeous review sweet girl :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis