Pages

Sunday 6 October 2013

A Review for Silver (Silver #1) by Rhiannon Held

Silver (Silver, #1)
Posted by Melanie
Release Date: June 4th, 2012
Finished Date: September 29th, 2013
Publishers: Tor
Genre: YA Paranormal, Romance
Source: Bought
Format: eBook
Pages: 320
Andrew Dare is a werewolf. He’s the enforcer for the Roanoke pack, and responsible for capturing or killing any Were intruders in Roanoke’s territory. But the lone Were he’s tracking doesn’t smell or act like anyone he’s ever encountered. And when he catches her, it doesn’t get any better. She’s beautiful, she’s crazy, and someone has tortured her by injecting silver into her veins. She says her name is Silver, and that she’s lost her wild self and can’t shift any more.

The packs in North America have a live-and-let-live attitude, and try not to overlap with each other. But Silver represents a terrible threat to every Were on the continent.

Andrew and Silver will join forces to track down this menace while discovering their own power and their passion for each other.

The Review: Silver is the first book in the series of the same name and features werewolves. The synopsis tells us that Andrew Dare an enforcer for Roanoke’s territory who has a much feared reputation sets out to protect Roanoke’s borders when he scents a Were with silver, thinking someone is coming to use European torture techniques on his pack, he hunts and finds the were…. Only when he finds her, things are not what they appear and taking her under his wing, sets about finding out who she is and how she came to be in the predicament she is in.
From the synopsis I thought I was really going to like this book, I wanted to…. But just didn’t. I’m a fan of were books & I liked the idea of the plot. Silver was an interesting character, a bit crazy at times, lucid at other times and I like a broken character like that. She had a lot of potential and although I wasn’t emotionally connected to her, she was likable and I was interested in her story. Same with Andrew, we are told of his reputation, how he could lead any pack and how he has used the worst kinds of torture and violence against his own kind, he had a history that was waiting to unfold and I wanted that story, again I didn’t connect to him emotionally but I was curious. I also like when a couple come together and the male becomes protective & dominant towards the female, I wish there had been more romantic moments to help me become invested in any potential relationship but again it just didn’t happen which was disappointing.
Story wise, as I said, I liked the idea of the plot – when we first met Silver she was frantic that a monster was following her so I was waiting for lots of run, chase, hide, fight scenarios – but no, none of that. I expected urgency, in a race against time to evade the monster… again none of that – it all just seemed so leisurely and that is what spoiled the book for me. The pacing was so off that I just couldn’t keep interested in what was happening, I was bored, I wanted to stop reading at every point and had to force myself to finish which is a shame because it did have potential. Some people who like slower paced books might find this a great read and to be honest the pacing is the only thing that spoiled it for me, the idea & the characters are both interesting and I couldn’t fault the writing so it was all down to keeping my interest & the plot moving. The last 20% of the book was what I wished the whole book had been like but by that point I just didn’t care what happened. I have the sequel to read but I don’t think I’m going to bother reading it because this didn’t make that much of an impact where I want to reach for it.

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis