Pages

Friday 25 October 2013

A Review for Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

15705956
Posted by Donna
Release Date: April 6th, 2012
Finished Date: October 20th, 2013
Publishers: Audio Go
Genre: YA Historical, Fantasy
Source: For Review
Format: Audiobook
Time: 11 hours and 51 minutes
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US / AudioGo

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

The Review: "Whenever you are ready, or if you never are, my heart is yours, until Death do us part. Whatever that may mean when consorting with one of Death’s handmaidens.”

Grave Mercy was my first audio book that I received for review, and I have to admit I was a little bit worried by receiving it for review that it would affect my listening experience, however that was totally not the case. I love audio books and I love reviewing books, so combining the two really worked for me. Grave Mercy had been on my radar for some time however; it’s always been one of them books that I’ve never got around too. I’ve heard so many great things about this book and I’m pleased to say it lived up to its expectations – if anything more because it’s definitely the best audio book I’ve ever listened too.
 
The story starts with a young Ismae being rescued by convent of St. Mortain after her father forced her into a brutal arranged marriage. It is at the convent that Ismae learns that she has been blessed with gifts that are dangerous and violent, and it is her destiny to take down the people who are betraying the high court of Brittany. But once there, Ismae isn’t prepared for the games and mystery that everyone seems to be playing, and most of all, she isn’t prepared for Duval – the one person who has captured her heart ....that she potentially has to kill.
 
As soon as I started listening to Grave Mercy I was captivated and intrigued, there’s just something about it that draws you in and leaves you wanting more of this marvellous story. I thought Caroline Ramsay as the narrator did an amazing job, not only did she give off Ismae’s voice but, she had so many more different accents that I thought she did very well. She got the tones just right to give you the listeners the right feelings and reactions.
 
The plot of the story was evenly paced with enough mystery and excitement to keep you entertained. The story was heavily politically based, however that’s to be expected with the plot being set in 1485, but at no point was it overwhelming or confusing. It was easy to follow along and had such a great back story.
 
Ismae was a fantastic lead and a great hand maiden of death. Even during her first outings she did make errors but, she quickly corrected them.  She was feisty and although she didn’t always feel comfortable in her role....like when she had to try and seduce someone, she always tried to make the best of it and work with her heart. She gave  everything she had into being a hand maiden because the convent saved her from a life that she would have hated, and because she gives everything, she has she becomes a better person. It’s not really until she meets Gavriel Duval that she finally starts to care about other people....other than the ones she met at the convent. Duval opens her up to so many possibilities ,with love and friendship on top of that list. I adored Duval. He comes across cold and mean to start with but as he works closely with Ismae, something changes in him....and her.  Their relationship is one that doesn't need to be discussed......it's just there. It's one that is a slow burning one, full of anticipation, love, and hope and when something does finally happen, it feels right. I prefer stories where the romance is at the front of the story, but for some reason it wasn't needed in this one. Ismae and Duval's story was a very lovable and touching one.
 
So it's safe to say Robin LaFevers definitely won me over with Grave Mercy, it hit all the right spots and I'm eagerly wanting more. I can't wait until I get my hands on Dark Triumph. 

2 comments:

Natalie Cleary said...

This sounds like an awesome book and I love the sound of it. Great review!!!

river simons said...

The book got here very quickly and I read it even quicker. It was really
original and I'm glad that it was not the typical love story.


best deals Office Furniture Locksmiths

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis