Pages

Thursday 31 October 2013

A Review for Champion (Legend #3) by Marie Lu

14290364
Posted by Donna
Release Date:  November 5th, 2013
Finished Date: October 30th, 2013
Publishers: Penguin UK
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Romance
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 353
The explosive finale to Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy—perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

The Review: "You drive me insane, June." He murmurs against my hair. "You're the scariest, most clever, bravest person I know, and sometimes I can't catch my breath because I'm trying so hard to keep up. There will never be another like you. You realise that, don't you?" I tilt my face up to see him. His eyes reflect the faint lights from the JumboTrons, a rainbow of evening colours. "Billions of people will come and go in this world," he says softly, "but there will never be another like you."

Starting 8 months after Prodigy finished, we see June working as a Princeps Elect and learning the political side to the war, and then we see Day receiving a high level military position. June and Day haven't seen each other in months, but soon they are reunited when the Elector informs them that a new plague has broken out and the Republic are being blamed. The only way the Colonies will not start  another war with them, is if they come up with a cure, but the cure the Republic may have, may lie with Day's brother Eden. But will Day give up his brother so others may live?

I don't even know where to start telling you how much I completely adore this series, it's definitely one of my favourites and as a writer Marie Lu continues to deliver epic work. Champion was a book for that gave me so many conflicting feelings before I even started reading. I was dreading it because I was so nervous about how it would end, and of course I was excited because I couldn't wait to see how it ends - see the conflicting feelings? Well, let me tell you that Marie Lu held my heart in her hands from the moment I started reading, and she didn't let go until the end!

Marie Lu really did pull out the stops with Champion - if you like mind-blowing, non-stop action, then this is for you. She doesn't leave one dull moment, if it's not the action keeping you glued to this book then, it's your emotions pulling you in every different direction. The plot of the story increased a lot in Prodigy, and it only increases again in Champion. There's so many different factors in this book that had to all come together and I believe it was done so well. Marie Lu's imagination really has no limits - she really does have a creative mind.

June and Day have really grown as characters - they're independent, selfless and strong characters - ones that have the fate of the world on their shoulder and who constantly sacrifice their own happiness for the rest of the world. June and Day's voice work so well together during this series, that reading the dual point of view really was a pleasure to read. Their love for one another is truly touching, it's one that completely consumes you and leaves you a bundle of nerves. All the odds are against them as a couple - even more so when Day's illness was introduced in Prodigy - but Marie Lu doesn't leave her readers disappointed. She doesn't make their story easy, but it's one that's worth fighting for.

And ending, the ending that you all want to know about? Well, that ending left my heart completely and utterly bursting from the seams! Champion truly is a spectacular and stunning conclusion and it's one I won't be forgetting any time soon.

1 comment:

Natalie Cleary said...

So glad you loved it!!! Great review and I'm excited to finish this trilogy :-)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis