Pages

Sunday 14 August 2011

A Review for Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Posted by Donna
Expected Published Date: October 18th, 2011
Finished Date: July 24th, 2011
Publishers: Spencer Hill Press
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 281
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.
< 
The Review: "Alex?" I turned around, figuring he'd changed his mind and was going to order me to see Marcus in the morning and fess up to my bad behaviour. "Yeah ?" He brushed a lock of dark hair off his forehead and flashed that lopsided smile. "I remember you" I scrunched up my face. "What?" The grin increased to a full smile. And... oh, man. He had dimples. The air in my lungs died. "I remember you, too"
< 
Where do I even begin by writing this review? Well……Half-Blood left me utterly speechless. It completely blew me away and it’s definitely one of my favourite reads so far this year.
< 
Half-Blood follows the life of Alex; a 17 year old Half-Blood who has just returned to the covenant after her mother was murdered by Damions. After missing nearly three years of training, Alex is thrown back into life and starts training to become Sentinels. She is being trained by Aiden, a gorgeous pure blood. Alex knows that relationships between Half-Blood’s and Pure’s are forbidden but there is an undeniable attraction between them. As she tries to fight off her feelings for Aiden, a person from the past comes back to haunt her…..one that she thought was dead but with this person stopping at nothing to get to her, it can only lead to one possible end…..one with a deadly confrontation.
< 
Can I just say wow, wow and wow? Yeah, I loved this book that much, that if I could rate it 10 out of 10, I would. Jennifer L. Armentrout has created a completely amazing book that truly shows off her talents as a writer. This book has everything. It’s full of suspense, action, danger and romance. It’s also captivating, mind-blowing, surprising, compelling and thrilling. The twists and turns through-out this book kept me on my toes and I honestly didn’t know what was coming next. I so have to admit that this book did remind me of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead BUT……and please don’t hate me for this…….Half-Blood was so much better!!
< 
The Greek Mythology that was used within the story was unique and fresh and not once did I feel lost in the story. Jennifer manages to introduce a completely new world to us that is easily imaginable and felt so feel. Her characters were well developed, strong and completely independent. Our heroine Alex is smart, brave and funny. I love how determined she is and doesn’t let anything stand in her way. Then we have Aiden….*sigh* I could honestly sit and write about Aiden ALL DAY! He’s amazing! Totally stubborn but so gorgeous, he’s enough to make any girls heart melt. Some of the scenes that Aiden and Alex share are so touching and loveable that you’re truly rooting for them as couple. I’m absolutely dying to know where the author takes their relationship; especially with their relationship being forbidden.

The secondary characters were second to none. Seth and Caleb are all completely unique in their own way. I definitely think Jennifer has thrown in a curve ball with the connection between Alex and Seth and again, it’s left me wanting more. I’m left imagining the outcome of the series and I know; only Jennifer has those answers at the moment but I will be definitely waiting impatiently until the next book is released. I find myself imagining the worst possible outcome so I won’t be disappointed but, I honestly know I won’t be because if Pure is anything like Half-Blood, I know I be amazing.

Overall, Jennifer has created a fantastic new series. One which is full of excitement and action and one, everyone is going to love. A forbidden romance that leaves you praying for a happy ending but also leaving you will a little bit of hope; Hope that everything will work out in the end even though it’s only the beginning. I guess only time will tell!

A huge thank you to Spencer Hill for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing book.

9 comments:

Liz. R said...

Ooh wow. I thought I really wanted to read this book before, but now after your review, I'm dying to read it! It sounds amazing, and I really want to meet Aiden, he sounds awesome! Thanks for the great review :).

Carina said...

Oh Donna, you're making it impossible to wait for October. I've heard sooo many fantastic things about this novel so far - need to pre-order it soon. :D

Great review, thanks for sharing!
Carina

Unknown said...

I love mythology :) I must get this!

Bookish Brunette said...

I cannot WAIT to start this series!!!!

Book Passion for Life said...

Ladies! I honestly, don't even think I've done the book the justice it deserves....so awesome! :)

Disgruntled Bear said...

Yay! So glad you liked it! Thanks for reviewing!

Jessie said...

I want to read this so bad! Thanks for the link for the book trailer, too, I had not seen it yet. All the reviews I've seen have been glowing and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Tasnim said...

Completely agree! I loved this book just as much as you did! You're so lucky to have read Pure already! You can't tell, but I'm giving you evils right now ;) haha just kidding!!

xx

Gaby said...

 I am dying to get my hands on this book everyone say what a great book this is. I'm glad you liked it :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis