Pages

Sunday 26 June 2011

A review for Unlovable (The Port Fare Series #1) by Sherry Gammon

Posted by Donna
Published Date: January 19th, 2011
Finished Date: June 26th, 2011
Source: For Review from Author
Format: Kindle
Pages: 307 
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Seventeen year-old Maggie Brown is truly the poster child for Heroin Chic, complete with her jutting bones and her dark-ringed eyes. She’s struggling with her growing feelings for the new guy at school, Seth Prescott, and fears he is just another person who will let her down, like everyone in her life has done thus far.Seth Prescott is an undercover cop assigned to Port Fare High, and despite his job, he’s developed strong feelings for Maggie. Seth’s working tirelessly to flush out the sadistic heroin peddlers that have invaded the small town of Port Fare, New York, while Maggie fights to stay alive as the search turns deadly. Seth and Maggie’s romantic journey is one of humor, heartbreak and self-discovery as their world is about to change forever. 


The Review: Wow! I think I’m going to follow the lead of my friend Haley (whose review is here) and give you a few quote’s from the book because I honestly don’t know where to start with this review….so here goes; 

He peered into my eyes and it felt as if he was burrowing into the dark recesses of my soul. His fingers ran softly across my cheek, brushing away the tear. There was an undeniable tenderness about him and it made my heart flutter. – Maggie 

I thought about Maggie standing in my door just over three hours ago. It took all I had not to pull her into my arms and kiss her. There she stood with her wet, snow-packed clothes plastered to her malnourished frame and those hapless blue eyes driving tears down her waxy hollowed cheeks, begging me to kiss her. Everything inside me screamed, “Hurry, before she changes her mind!” Nevertheless, I didn’t! “Yup, I deserved a medal” – Seth 

Unlovable is truly an amazing story! 

The story follows the lives of Maggie and Seth. Maggie being a 17 year old girl, who is half starving because her mother would rather drink alcohol than put food on their table. Maggie has spent all her life living with her mother and suffering years of emotional abuse. Her mother constantly telling her she’s an unlovable nothing and soon Maggie starts believing her. 

Seth is a high school student or so he appears to be. He’s really an uncover cop trying to stop drug crime in Port Fare. He’s always has a slight crush on Maggie but when an assignment comes up involving Maggie, he has no choice but to get to know her better. 

As their lives quickly intertwine they are thrown into a wonderful self-discovering and loving relationship but they also put into a dangerous situation when there is a dangerous killer on the loose…..one that could cost them their lives. 

Again, I’m going to say Unlovable is a truly an amazing story. This story had me captivated from page one and even though I finished it a few hours ago, I’m still thinking about it now. When Sherry Gammon asked me to review her work, I’ll be honest, I’d never heard of her work before but wow! I totally wish I had because I would have made sure I had read this book a long time ago. Sherry has created a heart breaking story that will leave us readers with hope that everyone can be loved and will get a happy ending they deserve. Not only has she wrote a captivating story but she’s managed to write about a very hard subject which is completely raw, passionate and truly breath-taking. 

Our two main characters are well developed and easy lovable. Maggie and Seth are two completely different people but two people willing to see the better in everybody else. Maggie has so many hard times with her mother but even through it, she is still as loyal as ever to her. She’s one strong person and felt completely real to me. Now Seth is just an amazing character all round. He sees the person Maggie really is even if her appearance isn’t what it should be. He’s kind, generous, selfless and he’s definitely stole the show for me in this book. 

The story itself is an emotional rollercoaster. I managed to feel so many different emotions while reading it and I felt I really connected with the characters. I loved that we got to see a part of the killer’s journey too, is only a few chapters but it’s enough to keep you going through the whole book knowing that something dangerous is going to happen. I also loved the secondary characters like Booker and Cole and I’m really interested to see their journey’s next in the next of the series. 

Overall, I think any fans of Simone Elkeles or Jennifer Echols will absolutely fall in love with Sherry’s work like I have. Read it guys! It’s truly not a story you want to miss out on. 

P.S Its only 69p on Kindle! BUY IT and show this author your support! 

Thank you to Sherry for giving me the opportunity to review her work.

8 comments:

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Great review. Those quotes you included are gorgeous. And this is the first I have heard of this book but it sounds awesome!

Natalie Frampton said...

Great review just got it for my kindle :D

Lesley said...

I went straight to my kindle and downloaded it. Great review Donna.

Book Passion for Life said...

Thanks Ladies! I hope you all enjoy it! :)

Bookish Brunette said...

*GASP* I KNEW it! I must read this... like NOW!!

AWESOME review!

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

OMG I need a kindle. Thanks for spotlighting this book - adding it to my wishlist

Book Passion for Life said...

I soooo need a Kindle! Lol. Awesome review Donna :) I'm going to order this now!

l0raah_ said...

Awesome review, I'd love to read it :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis