Pages

Monday 11 April 2011

A review for Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Posted by Donna
Published Date: December 28th, 2008
Finished Date: April 11th, 2011
The Blurb: A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers. 
The Review: Anyone that know me, knows that this book is completely out of the norm for me. I always read Fantasy and Paranormal type book but after hearing so many good things about it, I thought I'd try it and my god, it did not disappointed me one bit.


Perfect Chemistry follows the lives of Brittnay and Alex. Brittnay is popular, beautiful and rich and Alex is your typical bad boy, a gang member and lives in the bad part of town. When senior year starts, they are partnered up for a Chemistry project and somehow there lives change, becoming very confusing, especially when they start falling for one another. 


I'm quiet shocked with how much I loved this story, it kept me gripped from page one and I really didn't want it to end. Although, I did find it a little predictable at times, I still enjoyed it and loved how we were taken on the emotional rollercoster that was Brittnay & Alex's relationship. Firstly, Brittnay is not how she seems. You would expect a typical blonde cheerleader but deep down she just hides her emotions from people and well as hiding her home life too. She's strong and determined and I loved that she fights for what she believes in. Secondly, Alex! Wow! Come on, what's not to like. A hot Hispanic bad boy! Even though Alex is a the ultimate bad boy, as you get to know him, you know that's not all he is. He's a guy who see's no other choice but to protect his family and the only way to that is to throw his life away and be dedicated to the Latino Bloods. I think both characters were absolutely fantastic and I loved how the author has brought these two characters to life.


This book is a must read. If you haven't read it, READ IT! Even if its not your type of book, READ IT. Once you've read it, it will stick in your head for hours and I promise you won't be disappointed.


P.S If you want something similar go and watch the film Crazy/Beautiful starring Kristen Dunst & Jay Hernandez. So similar in so many ways.
________________________________________


Posted by Jess
Published Date: January 1st, 2011
Finished Date: July 24th, 2011
Source: RAK 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 360

The Blurb from Goodreads: When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. 

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. 

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.



The Review: Ohmigod! I am actually in LOVE with this book! 

It was actually my co-blogger Donna that recommended this book to me, she said I just HAD to read it and fall in love with it. And my god did I fall. Hard. 

Perfect Chemistry isn't like any sort of book I read, I like fantasy love stories, forbidden love stories. So I wasn't expecting to like Perfect Chemistry as much as I did. As I said, I fell hard. 
At first I wasn't sure if I would like Britanny, she's that sterotypical-like ohmigod!-American cheerleader, perfect hair, perfect face, rich parents, just perfect. But Britanny turned out to be one of the most genuine and down to earth characters I've read about. She isn't perfect; its a facade. Yeah she's rich, but her family is totally dysfunctional. She's had to grow up pretty quick and look after her disabled older sister Shelley. I just found Britanny such an easy character to like, and I got emotionally caught up in her. She's a wonderful heroine and the best evidence of not judging someone based on looks. 


Now Alex, ah Alex. What can I say about Alex. I can't get him out of my head! We all know I'm partial to a bad boy, and Alex is the epitomy of bad-he's a gang member for crying out loud!- you don't get more bad than that. I fell in love with Alex straight away, there was nothing I didn't love about him. He's gorgeous, tanned, muscled and he speaks Spanish, what more could you want? Except his real name: Alejandro. Say it with me...Aleeejaaandrroo...mmm, that name just rolls right off the tongue doesn't it? Melts in your mouth like chocolate, oo I could just spread him all over crackers...*ahem* sorry got a bit carried away there. Yeah Alejandrooo, he's fiiiine. 

Ahem, moving on. Great book. All the characters were likeable except Colin, I wanted to punch him. Really hard. 

Perfect Chemistry is fun, light and very funny I found myself laughing out loud at a few parts. Simone Elkeles has created a wonderful story about love. Two very different people brought together by a mutual understanding of having a hard life. 

The only thing I would change about this book is the Epilogue, I just felt it did nothing for the story and wasn't that necessary. Other than that though it's a fabulous read and I recommend it. Although I will recommend this to 16+ readers as there are some scenes and certain words that are probably not suitable for the younger YA majority. Otherwise definitely, definitely read this book!! 

I look forward to reading Rules of Attraction and Chain Reaction to find out more on Carlos and Luis. 

Anyway, I hope this review didn't suck too much. I'm going to go think about Alejandro Fuentes.

8 comments:

Natalie Frampton said...

have you read any of her other books? The leaving paradise ones i loved.

great review will have to pick this up at some point

Bex said...

I was actually wondering if I should start this a while ago! But nah, just never did. Perhaps I should...

Book Passion for Life said...

I think I'll pick this up too. Eventually!
Jess x

Elodie said...

This book is awesome !! I hope youll enjoy Rules of Attraction : Carlos Fuentes is as gorgeous as Alex !!

Liz. R said...

I've heard so much good stuff about this book, but never got to round to reading it! Your review may have just convinced me to pick up a copy (one day :P). Thanks, and glad you enjoyed it!

Book Passion for Life said...

Nat - I've seen you've read the other book, I was going to buy it but I'm still not sure yet. I reckon I will though. Read this one though, sooo good! Lol

Jess, Liz & Bex - Yes, please read. You need to met Alex! Lol

Elodie - Yay! You loved it too. I just ordered the second book. Please tell me Alex makes an appearance??? Lol
Donna x

Lindsey's Bookshelf said...

I now have this on my bookcase, i can not wait to read it :)

IdentitySeeker said...

I'm awaiting my copy of this book and, although it was ordered weeks back ad should be here by next week, it cannot get here soon enough for me. I've been reading such great reviews for it. Thanks for this excellent review:)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis