Pages

Sunday 24 April 2011

A review for The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2) by Julie Kagawa


Posted by Donna
Published Date: August 1st, 2010
Finished Date: April 24th, 2011
Source: Brought
Format: Kindle
Pages: 359
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

The Review: This is fast becoming one of my favourite series ever. The Fae aren't usually my favourite mythical creature to read about but this book has surpassed my expectations. 

The Iron Daughter starts with Meghan being stuck in the Winter Court, freezing with no magic and feeling alone. To make things worse Ash is acting like he hates her, faeries are trying to trick her and Puck is still in a deep sleep. When Ash's brother Sage is killed by the Iron Fey, the blame falls on the Summer Court, therefore the Winter Queen declares war against Summer, leading Ash to help Meghan escape which soon becomes a very deadly journey. 

I honestly didn't know how this story was going to play out but its was absolutely amazing with part one being one of my favourites in the series. The turn of events had my gripped to the edge of my seat and I ended up finishing it the whole book within 24 hours. I loved it and I loved it even more than the first one. 

I was so glad we got to see so much more of Ash and Meghan's relationship develop. I'm a sucker for romance and I'm even more a sucker for a forbidden romance. Yes, its been played out so many ways but Julie's style of writing had me feeling every emotion that Meghan felt. The sadness, the loneliness and the heartbreak. I felt so connected to Meghan's character that you can imagine, I was completely over joyed with the end result. Not only was I happy about Meghan & Ash, I was also happy to have Puck back. I enjoyed seeing him finally take a stand to Meghan and declare his love for her, although its a little sad I do believe the best man won in the end. 

The journey the characters take is exciting, dangerous and action packed and I loved meeting some of the new characters, but also the return of Grimalkin, who I think has a lot more tricks to show us yet. Oh and poor Ironhorse, I do wish that had played out a little differently. 

Overall, this was a fantastic series and this book is still in my mind after finishing it nearly 9 hours ago. I would totally recommend this series to anyone. Its a MUST read and i'm so looking to finding out what happens next.

________________________

Posted by: Jess
Published Date: August 1st, 2010
Finished Date: June 29th, 2011
Source: Brought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 359
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
<
The Review: You know that saying 'things get better with age'? Like wine? Well the Iron Daughter is similar to that, this gets better with each book. Seriously. I finished the book this morning on the train to work, and I was just left with a longing on how much I love this book, that I just want more! This series is definitely starting to become one of my favourites of 2011, so far.

I didn't really know how everything was going to play out in this book. After Ash, coming to collect Meghan from her world to take her to the Winter Court, to fulfill her promise to him. She's left alone, cold and abandoned by him without a friend, without her slowing building faery powers, which now lay dormant thanks to the faery b*tch Queen Mab. I was hooked at every page, I just kept turning, wanting to know what happens next.

I loved this one more than the first one, it was just better. I was so pleased to see more of Ash and Meghan. To read how their relationship grows, but to also see how their relationship ultimately affects the people around them like the Summer Court, the Winter Court, Puck etc. Having already created the world in The Iron King, Julie Kagawa still manages to describe the surroundings in such vivid detail that I find myself right there along side Meghan, Puck and Ash. Meeting the new characters who were introduced slowly but well developed by the end of a chapter. Great wrtiting. I'm not sure why, but I felt immediately drawn to Meghan and connected to her, that every emotion that she went through in this book I felt too. The loneliness, the heartbreak, being terrified, being brave when needing to. It was wonderful, I love being able to connect to the characters, to feel for them, to feel like you're right there in the midst of everything. I was so pleased to see Puck return, to have more of a part in this during Meghan's adventure. To have finally announce his love for Meghan, it was wonderful and I love Puck.

Let me move onto the ending of this book. I mean wow. I was rendered speechless and left smiling like a fool. It was a deeply well thought out ending. My favourite part? Well Ash confronting Queen Mab and finally declaring his love for Meghan. It was beautifully done, and I felt like I was right there in the crowd watching him. I won't go into too much detail because I may end up spoiling but at the very very end of this book...well I just hope that they manage to find their way back. A loophole of some sort. I do feel a little sad for Puck in all this, but in the end Meghan needed to follow her heart, and her heart pointed her in the direction its always been pointing in. Ash.  I honestly cannot wait to start on The Iron Queen, I NEED to know how this is going to pan out. 

Overall this journey was fantastic, old characters, new characters, funny moments, sad moments. The ending was wonderful and it left me wanting lots more! If you haven't already read this series, or you've thought about it and decided against it, well I have one thing to say. SHAME ON YOU! Pick these books up, read them, fall in love with the world of Faery, fall in love with Ash, and with Puck. Its simply an irresistible read, and definitely a must have on everyone's bookshelves.

Here I go with The Iron Queen. Wish me luck :)
<
P.S-Some of you may be wondering which team I am? Ash or Puck. Ha, well, that's actually quite hard, I've been swaying a lot recently, but ultimately I am...neither. I love them both too much (like WIll and Jem) that I am, right now, TEAM PUSH.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it certainly sounds amazing and I can't wait to start it. I have them all on my shelf waiting for me to finish my pile of review books that must come first. Hopefully very soon though! Great review!

Book Passion for Life said...

Thanks hun. I think you need to bump them up! Lol. There great.

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis