Pages

Saturday 8 October 2011

A Review for Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan


Posted by Donna
Published Date: October 7th, 2011
Finished Date: October 6th, 2011
Publishers: Pan Macmilliam
Source: ARC, For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 385
< 
The Blurb from Goodreads: What if you were bound for a new world, about to pledge your life to someone you'd been promised to since birth, and one unexpected violent attack made survival—not love—the issue? Out in the murky nebula lurks an unseen enemy: the New Horizon. On its way to populate a distant planet in the wake of Earth's collapse, the ship's crew has been unable to conceive a generation to continue its mission. They need young girls desperately, or their zealous leader's efforts will fail. Onboard their sister ship, the Empyrean, the unsuspecting families don't know an attack is being mounted that could claim the most important among them... Fifteen-year-old Waverly is part of the first generation to be successfully conceived in deep space; she was born on the Empyrean, and the large farming vessel is all she knows. Her concerns are those of any teenager—until Kieran Alden proposes to her. The handsome captain-to-be has everything Waverly could ever want in a husband, and with the pressure to start having children, everyone is sure he's the best choice. Except for Waverly, who wants more from life than marriage—and is secretly intrigued by the shy, darkly brilliant Seth. But when the Empyrean faces sudden attack by their assumed allies, they quickly find out that the enemies aren't all from the outside.
< 
The Review: 4.5 out of 5: When I first heard about this book I have to admit I wasn’t to sure it would be my kind of thing. So, I waited to read a few reviews first and continually heard great things about it. So when I got it I knew I wanted to start straight away and you know what? I’m so glad I did. It’s was pretty amazing.

Glow is broken down into five sections which we see alternate been our two main characters, Waverly and Kieran. From part one, I was completely enthralled and was so disappointed when general life kept getting in the way of me reading. I was eager to get back to it because it’s very intriguing and captivating. Not only that but it’s also exciting and it kept me engaged all the way through. I’m not usually a sci-fi fan and don’t get me wrong, I have read a few books which I liked but I absolutely loved the concept of Glow. The general plot of the story left me gasping and on the edge of my seat because you didn’t know what would happen next. I was left battling with myself which ship I liked more and which one was the worst but they both have good and bad points. The twists and turns through out kept you on your toes and even though, I kind of guess part of the story I had no idea how it would end.

Our main characters Waverly and Kieran were great to read about. Both very strong but both have completely different experiences during the book. Waverly, I believe had a more emotional time being a captive on the New Horizon. She has one of the most unthinkable things happen to her but no matter what, she always tries to remain strong. Kieran was totally down to earth and he’d be the first to tell you, he doesn’t know where to start on running a ship. Yes, he makes mistakes but who doesn’t. I loved his integrity and how he always manages to have hope. I really loved his and Waverly’s relationship and it very much felt real to me. But then there’s Seth. I’m honestly still not sure how I feel about him as a character. I did like him to start with but then he becomes this monster on board the Empyrean and I honestly started to hate him. I know the story slowly points to a love triangle but I really hope he and Waverly don’t get together. I just can’t see them as a couple, maybe if Seth redeems himself in the next two books I may change my mind but at the moment, it’s a no go for me.

I was going to rate this book a 5 because I loved everything about it, well that’s until I got to the epilogue and I have to say….it left a sour taste in my mouth. I loved how part five ended and then I just felt slightly disappointed with the epilogue. Yes, it was kind of a cliff-hanger which I honestly didn’t mind, I just didn’t like the direction the relationship pointed…I didn’t like it but I admit, it’s left me intrigued.

Overall, Amy Kathleen Ryan has done a great job with Glow. This book won’t be for everyone but I’m so glad it was one I loved. I totally recommend it especially for you Across the Universe fans.

3 comments:

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

Nice Review!
I still haven't read across the Universe so I think I'll borrow that first then if I like that I'll pick this one up .


Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked Glow as much as me! It also matches your blog ;)

Braiden said...

Sweet review Donna! Yes that relationship twist in the end made me totally confused and dazzled, but that's what is making me itch for the second book >.< ;)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis