Pages

Thursday 22 September 2011

A Review for Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

Posted by Donna
Published Date: August 4th, 2011
Finished Date: September 22nd, 2011
Publishers: Simon & Schuster
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 320
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: 17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. Or thereabouts.After a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. Trying to uncover the truth of why her mother was killed, and the real remit of The Unit, Lila becomes a pawn in a dangerous game. Struggling to keep her secrets in a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them...


The Review: 
<
I felt his other hand sear hot against my cheek. He bent his head, and in a voice that Jack couldn’t hear, said, “When you came down the stairs, and fell into me, that was the moment.” Then his lips pressed against mine. 

Can I rate this book a 10? I loved this book, honestly, I loved it. This is one of them books that seriously take you by surprise and blow you away. I’ll admit, I was a bit hesitant when I first heard about it but after seeing so many awesome reviews, I knew this was a book I wanted to try. And yep, if you can’t already tell I was definitely not disappointed.

Hunting Lila is Sarah Alderson’s debut novel and let me tell you, it doesn’t feel like a debt novel. Sarah’s style of writing is easy to follow, exciting and very interesting. She knows how to deliver great characters, she knows how to deliver an explosive storyline and build up the suspense, and of course, she knows how to deliver a romance that will leave you breathless. All of these things make this book, one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Our main character Lila is a great protagonist. We first see her in London, being mugged by teenage boys and unfournately because of her situation she is about to use her gifts to stop the boys, but she soon stops when she realises she could actually hurt them. This then leads her to jumping on a plane to visit her brother and his best friend Alex. Lila keeps her gifts a secret from both Jack and Alex but most of all she’s been keeping another secret…..she’s been in love with Alex for years. While trying to keep her secrets safe, Lila can’t help but start questioning what her brother and Alex are really up too. And when she finally gets her answers, she sure is unsure of who she can trust.



Lila is a lovable character, one that you feel very connected with throughout this book. He love for Alex is undeniable and helps her get through the hard days. It’s safe to say Alex is her rock throughout this book, even in times of doubt he’s still the first person she will turn too. Now, Alex is….well….let’s just say, he sure is going to be a hit with the female readers. I adored him! He first comes across of as the big brother type, very protected of Lila and that’s how he tries to keep things between them. But again that undeniable attraction between them is unavoidable and that then leads to a loving and tender relationship between the character, and it’s one that will make your heart melt. Yep, I totally fell for Alex! I love him.

The story has a very strong plot that leaves readers questioning what’s real and what’s not. There are unexpected twists and turns that jump out at you and leave you dying to know more. There are scenes that will make you heart break but then there’s scenes that will have you jumping for joy but most of all, the ending. The ending will leave you dying to know more because Sarah Alderson throws in a huge twist, that I honestly didn’t see coming. I was left a little speechless.

Overall, Hunting Lila is an awesome book and the fact that I actually devoured this book within 24 hours because of how good it was, I now urge you guys to……GO AND BUY THIS BOOK!! It’s not one you want to miss out on and I can’t wait for August 2012, when I can get my hands on book 2. 

7 comments:

Book Passion for Life said...

OMG that quote! I'm in love...my copy has been dispatched from Amazon and I can't wait to read it!
-Jess

Book Passion for Life said...

I know Jess! Alex is wow! I can't wait for you to read it. And yeah I couldn't rate the book 5 stars...I think it was past that...EPIC!!!

Melliane said...

When I see the cover and the synopsis I was very curious about this one. I've not read it yet, but it sounds soooo great ! Now I can't wait to read it ! Thanks for the review

Giselle said...

Ooooh I can't wait to read this! !Great review. Squeeee

Liz. R said...

I know exactly what you mean! I wanted to rate this ten too. It was so amazing - I loved Lila, and Alex? Wow. Just wow. Great review, so glad you liked this one!

Braiden said...

Woah! Was that the first 'Epic' rated book I saw? Maybe I'm the one that's epic then...for you know :P

Aleksandra said...

Wow, thanks for the amazing review :) I already had my eye on this one, but now you've convinced me :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis