Hi everyone! So I'm back with another baking post. I had so much feedback from the Lemon and Blueberry cupcakes and I really appreciated it, I love you guys!
So if you haven't already seen on Facebook and Instagram then I'm hoping you will be excited to see what I made a few days ago. This time I actually made them for one of my blogging besties, you may know her Misty @ Bookaholic Book Club as it was her birthday yesterday and because she's such a fan of lemon meringue, I decided to make;
Lemon cupcakes with a dollop of lemon curd topped with fresh meringue aka Lemon Meringue Cupcakes! Yum!
1) Pre-heat oven on gas mark 2 or 3
2) Place butter and caster sugar in a bowl and cream together until the mixture turns fluffy and light
3) Add in the flour and eggs and mix all together
4) Stir in the lemon extract or fresh lemon juice
5) Use a spoon or ice-cream scoop and place an even amount of mixture into your cases.
6) Bake on a low gas. I use 2 or 3 and bake until the cakes turn a golden brown - usually around 15/20 minutes
7) Take out of the oven and place on a cake rack to cool.
8) While your waiting for the cakes to cool down. Make the meringue.
9) Whisk your egg whites in a bowl until they become thick (you should be able to turn the bowl upside down and no mixture will fall out)
10) Whisk in a spoon full of sugar at a time until all the sugar is all gone.
11) At this point, your cakes should be cool enough to decorate. Place a generous amount of lemon curd on top of each cupcake and spread so the top of the cake is covered.
12) Then add your meringue on top. I pipe mine on but you could just slap it on either way will be fine. ;)
13) Once all the cupcakes are covered in meringue, put them back into the oven and bake on a low heat until the meringue has turned a slight golden brown. And then you have this;
These were so easy to make guys, perfect if you don't like buttercream (like me) but otherwise just nice to try a new and refreshing recipe. Enjoy!