Pages

Thursday 17 January 2013

A Review for The Torn Wing (The Faerie Ring #2) by Kiki Hamilton

The Torn Wing (The Faerie Ring, #2)
Posted by Donna
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012
Finished Date: January 11th, 2013
Publishers: Fair Wind Publishing
Source: Bought
Format: Kindle
Pages: 318
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

London 1872 - 

A bloody escape, a deadly threat, a shocking revelation...

As an orphan who stole the Queen's ring - only to find the ring was a reservoir that held a truce between the world of Faerie and the British Court - Tiki’s greatest fear suddenly becomes all too real: the fey have returned to London seeking revenge. As war escalates in the Otherworld, Queen Victoria’s youngest son, Prince Leopold, is attacked. In order to protect her family and those she loves, Tiki needs to know the meaning of an fáinne sí, the birthmark that winds around her wrist. But will she be brave enough to face the truth?

The Review: 4.5 Stars

"What's going to happen?" She whispered. "Everything will change," Rieker said softly, his smoky eyes intent upon hers, "but our love will remain the same."

I loved it - just loved it! I honestly don't know why I put off reading this  for so long. It was released back in October but I guess time just ran away with me but finally, I did and I'm so pleased I did because it was fantastic.

In The Torn Wing we see Tiki who is hoping to try and forget all about the faerie world and the danger it brings to London but of course, things aren't as simple as that. Larkin is still claiming that Tiki needs to find out her true heritage because Tiki's place in the war is more important than she knows. Can Tiki really have a more important role to play and more importantly, is she brave enough to uncover the truth?

Kiki Hamilton did it! The Torn Wing is just as enchanting and magical as The Faerie Ring and anyone who is already invested in this series will truly appreciate Kiki's beautiful writing and gift for capturing every little detail that makes this series so believable. It's so easy to imagine myself walking the streets of London in 1872. It's easy to imagine the hardships of being poor in those times and it's also easy to imagine having enough money to survive. What I love it that we see two sides to these time, the rich and poor and we also see the Queen of England in this time. Like I said before, it's a very believable world that Kiki has created and honestly, I don't think many authors could pull it off - but Kiki does it so well.

Tiki really goes through a self-discovery journey in this book, mainly because she has to find out who she really is and of course, we as readers want to know that too. I really enjoy Tiki as a female lead, but what I enjoyed the most of this time around was how quickly she managed to adjust her feelings. She really grows and comes into a new person but always manages to remain herself. It's a fantastic discovery to watch and I know great things will come from her in the next story.

What I also loved was the romance - it's a slow burning one that constantly keeps you guessing. I wasn't to sure what to expect this time around, but there's still a bit of uncertainty in the air to start with. I wasn't all hearts and flowers which makes it all the more real. I love Rieker and Tiki together - they bring out the best in each other and you can see how they have each came alive with the other in they're lives. I am hoping that there won't be a love triangle with Dain - however, that's all I'm going to say on that because I don't want to spoil it for you. But Rieker and Tiki together are just perfect, they're moment's together are just perfect.

Rieker threaded her hair behind her ears with his other hands, his fingers lingering against her cheek. "We're different Tiki," he said softly. "We're caught between two worlds and honestly, I don't know which one we belong in. But I do know this - I don't want to be either place without you." He looked deep into her eyes. "I believe we found each other because we're meant to be together."

Overall, The Torn Wing provided me with everything I wanted from this sequel - excitement, suspense, danger, love and most of all, hope. A fantastic sequel from a fantastic author and I can't wait for more in The Seven Year King. 

3 comments:

Book Angel Emma said...

*pushes The Faerie Ring up the TBR pile*

Sam @ Realm of Fiction said...

Realistic, slow romances are my favourite kind. :) I haven't started this series yet, but it sounds like I need to! I have the first book on my shelf somewhere. Great review, Donna!

YearningtoRead said...

EEEEK! I can't wait to finally read this! I keep meaning to buy it...someday soon, I finally shall. ;)


Great review!

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis