Pages

Tuesday 25 February 2014

A Review for Sin by Sharron Riddle

19173550 Posted by Melanie
Release Date: January 13th, 2014
Finished Date: February 15th, 2014
Publishers: Curiosity Quills Press
Genre: YA, Paranormal 
Source: For Review
Format: eARC
Pages: 274
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US 

My name is Sin. I killed a man in self-defense when I was sixteen. Not something a girl wants to brag about. My dad wanted to lock me up in the nut house, but Mom sent me packing to my great aunts in St. Charles, IL. They’re ancient druid priestesses, and they make me look like a pacifist. I’d barely unpacked before the aunts sent me to find the stolen hellhounds. Without the hounds to herd them to the underworld, the souls of the dead are flocking to the cities in murders of crows. If they’re still hanging around after three days, they’ll turn into flesh eating, brain feasting zombies. Van, an annoying but uber-hot Fey Prince, joins us in the hunt to find the hounds before the zombies overrun St. Charles and turn the cities into cemeteries.

The Review: I thought Sin was a great read, fun & action packed.
The blurb is accurate and I don’t feel I can add anything so straight onto my thoughts…
I loved Sin, she’s my kind of girl, she has a good sense of humour, she is not afraid to speak her mind or fight for what she believes in. She’s slightly volatile with her temper and finds it hard to trust but is willing to give her new home a try. She gets stuck straight into an investigation on arrival and she’s in for a sharp learning curve but it brings out some good qualities in her and helps us to understand the world along with her as she is educated on all things magical. I liked her secret, the big one that could have sent her over the edge and I liked how it tied in with the bigger storyline. There are two potential love interest and she’s drawn to both, I’m always unsure about the love triangles but it’s in the early stages so I’m willing to ride that for now but I wasn’t sure who to trust and even at the end I didn’t have a preference.
I liked the world within our world that is brought to life throughout the book and all of the magical beings we meet, it sets up a premise that could have great series potential. This book is filled with action & life threatening situations that would look great visually. I loved the undead idea that brought the zombies, it was different from any other zombie story I have read and really liked how that tied to Sin. I loved her secret ancestry, loving the world that she is now immersed in and definitely the guardian & protector she is bestowed with and the story behind that. The story is full of secrets & revelations interspersed with battling the undead, learning magic and a sprinkling of romance, there are a lot of secrets going on and Sin isn’t in on a lot of stuff until it becomes necessary, so I do feel that even though we get a few secrets that it still felt like an introduction and getting to know you book but…. the fact that a prophecy was brought into it makes me excited for further books, so now I’m really curious to see where it will all go. Great, fun read though! 

2 comments:

Michelle Chew said...

The Fey Prince really caught my interest. Besides, the story sounds really interesting. Will be adding this to my TBR! :)

Melanie Hall said...

Not sure Michelle, I hope not because it set up a story with great series potential and it definitely set things up for a sequel, I might tweet the author =)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis