Pages

Monday 9 December 2013

A Review for Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead

12422634
Posted by Donna
Release Date:  August 23rd, 2011
Finished Date: November 19th, 2013
Publishers: Puffin
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Source: Gifted
Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...

The Review: “My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?" That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. "What about them?" "The color," he breathed. "When you stand in the light. They're amazing... like molten gold. I could paint those..." He reached toward me but then pulled back. "They're beautiful. You're beautiful.”

It’s been a long time since I’ve read anything by Richelle Mead and most of that is my fault, because once I heard she was writing Bloodlines, the spin off to Vampire Academy series; I knew I wanted to read it, however, I also knew I wanted to wait for a few books to be released in the series before making a start on it. So, as you can see, with the release of the fourth book in the Bloodline series, I now felt it was the perfect time for me to start, and I’m so glad I did.

Bloodlines was a great start to this new series. Richelle Mead is a fantastic writer and it was so easy to slip back into her style of writing. I have to admit I was slightly unsure if I was going to enjoy the story being told from Sydney's point of view, however, I was completely taken by surprise by how much I come to enjoy and love her. Sydney was a great narrator! And of course it was great to get to know Eddie, Jill and Adrian more...or course Adrian. I was always a fan of him in the VA series, even though Rose did pick the right guy for her, sadly Adrian suffered because of that. I think it was a wise choice by Richelle to continue Adrian's story through out the Bloodline series. We all love him and we all want that happy ending for him, so hopefully he will get one. 

I really enjoyed the whole plot of Bloodlines too. It was something new and different. Not only do we get more from the Moroi and Dhampirs but we get the Alchemists too. It was interesting to unravel Sydney's beliefs and find out more of the gritty stuff to her work. We get more than one bad guy and we get some hope of a relationship between Adrian and Sydney.....eek! I'm super excited for that. 

Anyway, Bloodlines was a good start and I look forward to reading more in The Golden Lily. 

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis