Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2013

A Review for Demon at My Door by Michelle A. Valentine

Demon At My Door (Demon At My Door, #1)
Posted by Guest Reviewer Melanie
Release Date:  February 12th, 2013 
Finished Date: March 7th, 2013
Publishers: Self - Published 
Source: For Review 
Format: Kindle 
Pages:  203
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US 

Gothic outcast Natalie Sugarman bartered her soul for her dying mother’s life sixteen years ago to a boy demon that could stop time. Now, days before her twenty-first birthday, the lifelines on her palms are slowly vanishing, and she knows it’s just a matter of time before Satan’s little helper collects.

Natalie's tried numerous times to kill the demon and regain control of her soul’s destiny, but she always falls short. When she decides to try and gain the element of surprise for her next attempt, Natalie seeks answers about his location from a freaky, glowing-eyed fortuneteller. Creeped out by the psychic’s methods, she bolts from the reading and misses the warning that the demon who stole her soul is always closer than she thinks.

After some strange incidents with her new boyfriend, including a hot, levitating sex session, she realizes he’s the grown-up version of her little nightmare and he’s returned to collect on their deal. Natalie must figure out how to win her soul back from the demon before her lifeline completely disappears and she becomes his forever—even if that means making a deal to damn three other souls to take her place.

The Review: I really enjoyed this book, it ticked a lot of boxes for me… I can’t really add anything to the synopsis as it’s really accurate of what can be told about the plot. It was such a pleasure to read though and a bit different to the books with demons that I’m used to reading. I liked all of the characters, Natalie is cool, I liked everything about her form her clothes to her outlook on life, I liked most of her attitude except for the ‘secret boyfriend’ scenario which seemed a bit out of character for a person who didn’t really care what people thought of her (unless it was meant to be a front). I loved when Rick came into her life and we see her blossom, coming out from the darkness to live a little. 

Rick was great too, I have to be honest, I knew his deal straight away but I still loved it & loved the heat between those two. At the centre of the storyline of course is the deal for her soul, it’s due to come around so that features heavily in the plot as she decides to fight and try to rid herself of her demon before he can make her into his minion. There is also heavy emphasis on a love triangle too, she dithers between the two men, making her mind up one minute then changing it the next, It was wearing thin but I’m glad it wasn’t over done where she was spending time with & playing one against the other, I had a favourite from the outset soo wanted them to spend as much time as possible together ;) it may seem a straightforward plot but there are few little twists and turns along the way to keep you on your toes and more than one person hiding something – be prepared for a couple of wth moments. The pacing was great too and I was never bored, I’m actually hoping for a follow up because whilst everything was wrapped up at the ending, it still has various ways it could go and you feel like you just got to know the characters but they have the potential to give more…. And I would like more – great book though and definitely worth a read. 

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis